Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Jake Saves Bucky is a TV special set that premiered September 19, 2012, on Disney Channel as a Disney Junior Family Night movie event. The special—along with selected second season episodes—was released on Disney DVD as of October 16, 2012.
According to the Never Land Pirate Code, Jake and his crew must race Bucky against the Jolly Roger and the sneaky Captain Hook. But if Bucky loses, he’ll belong to Hook forever! Of course, Hook uses every trick in the book and wins the race. But Jake and his crew might have a way to get Bucky back. With the help of Peter Pan, the young pirates embark on an adventure across Never Land that includes getting past a fire-breathing dragon! With your help, Jake’s crew can save Bucky from the devious Captain Hook.
It's nighttime and Captain Hook wants Sharky, Bones, and Mr. Smee to read a book for him. The three come directly for him, with books in their hands. Bones mentions that their feet are there too. Hook complains to Smee about the bedtime story he had asked for. He says he can't fall asleep with an exciting story. The three then show off their books. Mr. Smee shows The Three Little Pirate Piggies, but Hook has heard that story about 3,000 times. Sharky shows him Green Coconuts and Jam, but Hook thinks it is boring. Finally, Bones shows off Goodnight Skull Rock, but Hooks doesn't want to hear that either. Hook wants a story about excitement, so the others keep looking. Mr. Smee finds a boos that hadn't been touched in quite a while and dusts it off, and coughs afterwards. Smee notices it's one he hasn't seen before - but it wasn't a book, it was a piece of paper.
Hook wonders what Smee is up too, wanting to know if it is a story worthy of his time. Smee thinks Hook hasn't heard of the story before. Before Smee can read it, Hook grabs it out of his hand. He reads the paper, and reads that the Buccaneer need to take in a race against the Jolly Roger. It also has to start the day after the first full moon of the year. Sharky notices that it would be the next day. If Bucky lost the race, ownership would go to Hook. However, there is still more to read on the paper. It says that Jake and his mates have one last chance to get the ship back. Hook rips the bottom of the paper from Smee's hands and reads what was on the small part of the paper. Hook thinks it's not important at all. Bones wonders what the race means for them, and Hook says that if his crew wins, Bucky will belong to Hook. Smee thinks that Bucky might not be easy to win in the race, since he has lots of gizmos aboard. Hook then wants new gizmos added to The Jolly Roger. The three crewmen then get ready to build the gizmos for Hook. The next morning, all for prepare for the race and sing a song about having Bucky belonging to Hook.
Meanwhile, Jake, Skully, Cubby, and Izzy are playing Pirate Bob Beach ball on Bucky, who is also playing with them. Bucky blocks a kick from Izzy, sending it to Captain Hook who pops in and greets them. Jake says he's came to the wrong place to get treasure, but Hook isn't interested to get any for the day, saying he going for a pirate ship. Skully thinks he's gone crackers. Hook throws the scroll of paper to Jake and promptly reads it. Jake says that Bucky has to race against the Jolly Roger for that day. If they lose, Jake will lose Bucky and Hook gets him. Skully, Izzy, and Cubby don't like the idea. Smee says that the kids have no choice but to race. If they quit, they'll lose their beloved ship. Jake accepts the challenge to race Hook, and says Bucky can race against The Jolly Roger any old day. They two get in each other's face, and start to sing the song Our Ship's Better than Yours. During the song, Hook intends to cheat so he can win Bucky.
After the song is over, Hook says that the race starts at Shipwreck Beach, and he'll see them at the starting line. Cubby is worried that his captain will lose the race and Bucky, however Jake says he's going to win the race. After their usual talk about the audience wanting to help them, Jake's crew finally get to the starting line. Hook thought that Jake had given up. Jake is ready though, and ready to win. Smee then mentions how the rules will work by Sharky and Bones, in song form. Cubby thinks its awesome, but Hook in concerned about winning Bucky instead. Sharky and Bones sing the first location for the crews: Mermaid Lagoon. Jake tells his crew to get ready to win the race. Sharky and Bones tell the ship to get ready, and yell "Anchors Away!" to both ships. The ships get off with The Jolly Roger getting an early lead. Jake wants Bucky to get to mermaid Lagoon before Hook's ship does. Jake wants the incidence to cheer on for Bucky, and yell "Go Bucky Go!". Hook notices that Bucky is catching up, and then blocks Bucky from getting ahead.
In his pride, Hook launches coconuts at Bucky to slow him down. Bucky retaliates by using his gizmos to launch the coconuts back at Hook, slowing him down, and giving the sea-pups enough time to reach ahead to Mermaid Lagoon.
Sharky and Bones tell the pirates to find a fish that is not like a fish (in the form of a song). Whilst the puny pirates search for this item, Smee and Hook manage to catch up, and get the same info.
After some failed attempts, Cubby finds Sandy Starfish. They instantly put two and two together and realize that Sandy is the so called "fish that's not like a fish". Once they've solved the riddle, they are informed to go to Skull Rock for the next clue.
Captain Hook and Smee look for a fish that's not like a fish, and ultimately fail. After throwing fit, Hook bumps into Sandy, and figures out the clue (though Smee initially figured it out, Hook scoffed at this before realizing for himself). They are then informed to go to Skull Rock.
Bucky is in the lead, and the pirates rejoice over their friendship with Bucky in their song Best Friend Bucky. Once the song is over, they are spotted by Hook, who has another trick up his sleeve. He fires a grappling hook at Bucky, with an anchor attached to it. The anchor is struck near the ground, which lifts Bucky up by his backside. Hook then whips out a propeller which speeds him towards Skull Rock, leaving Jake in the dust (or rather in the bubbles).
When Hook reaches Skull Rock, Sharky and Bones tell him to find an island that looks like a bird. After looking, Hook sees the Eagle Island, which is shaped like an eagle, as the name implies, and sets off, gloating at his victory.
Jake manages to free Bucky from the grappling hook, and they head towards Skull Rock, taking the advice from Sharky and Bones. When they reach the island, they discover that Hook has reached the Eagle Island first and has gotten the winning flag, and as a result, he has won the Great Race and Bucky.
Following the pirate code, Jake sadly gives up Bucky to Captain Hook, and the pirates each say their goodbyes to the ship. They each watch as their ship is tied to the Jolly Roger, and hoisted away. Izzy uses Pixie Dust to fly the pirates away back to Pirate Island.
That evening, Captain Hook gloats over his victory and ownership of Bucky, however the puny ship rebels and halts the codfish's ship on his own. Whilst Hook does end up falling on deck, he scoffs at the idea of Bucky manipulating the ship's movement, and orders Smee to sail on.
Jake and his crew sadly fly back to Pirate Island, coping with the fact that they won't see their friend again. That night, Bucky rings his bell so loud, it wakes up the Cranky Crook. Hook orders his crew to silence Bucky's bell, though Mr. Smee waits until Hook is back in bed to divert the orders to Sharky and Bones. The musical duo board the ship, but Bucky soon manages to scare them away by making them think he is haunted.
When they return to Pirate Island, Jake and his crew reminisce all the good times with Bucky, and find a picture of Peter Pan, which was taken during the end of Peter Pan Returns and get an idea to summon him in order to get their help. That night, they scream "Cock-a-doodle doo, Peter Pan we need you!!!" which gets him from across the Lands Beyond the Never Sea to Pirate Island. After reuniting with him, Jake explains why Bucky is under Hook's ownership. Pan realizes that a piece of the scroll is ripped apart, which leads them to believe Hook hid the full truth from the pirates. After giving them Pixie Dust, they fly to Bucky, where they board the Jolly Roger in search of the remainder of the scroll.
Peter and Jake search in the codfish's cabin, and manage to find the last piece of the scroll. Once they find it, they read that unless the owners of the Buccaneer win the race, they have to complete on last task. They have to fly to Bell Island and rechive the Golden Bell before sunrise, and will win Bucky back with this task fulfillment. However, there is a warning that the pirates must fight a fire-breathing dragon, who guards the bell and will kill all those who visit. Building up their courage, the puny pirates fly to the Island of Bell. Meanwhile, fed up with Bucky's ringing, the codfish captain throws him into the drink.
Peter, Jake, Izzy, Cubby, and Skully fly to the island fighting wind currents as they do so. Once they land, they travel on foot to a stone arch, near a glow which Jake previously spotted on the mountain. However, Peter is nearly burnt alive by a fiery blaze coming from the mighty dragon. Not wanting to give up, the team forms a plan; Peter and Jake will distract the dragon, whilst Izzy, Cubby, and Skully will retrieve the golden bell. They spring their plan into action, singing What Makes a Hero. Peter and Jake fly up above the island, grabbing the attention of the mighty dragon. Izzy, Cubby, and Skully are attacked and nearly killed by the dragon, however, Peter and Jake pull on his tail, resulting in him flinging them into the air, where they fly away. Angered, the fire-breather chases after them, giving the other 3 pirates enough time to sneak across the island. Peter and Jake match their quick wits against the dragon's dull wits, and manage to have him chasing his tail in the cave mazes, whilst they escape.
Izzy and Cubby find the Golden Bell, and fly up to the tree, grabbing the bell. Unfortunantely, it is too heavy to carry, that is until Peter and Jake return and sprinkle pixie dust on the bell, and fly it back to Bucky. Hook is alarmed at both Peter Pan's second return to Never Land, and at the puny pirates' victory. Giving Bucky his new bell, the pirates sail back to Pirate Island in their victory, singing a short reprise of Best Friend Bucky. Once they return, they count their 12 doubloons collected during the episode. Peter congratulates his crew for their adventure, and once again, gives the Pirates and Bucky a farewell before flying off to the Land Beyond the Never Sea.
Hook complains about losing his ship, and throws a fit, which ultimately malfunctuons his gizmos, launching him in the air, where he meets Pan. After a Looney Toons esque gag in which Hook realizes he can't fly, he falls into the sea where the Tick Tock Croc is waiting for him.
- "Bucky Will Be Mine"
- "Our Ship Be Better"
- "Best Friend Bucky"
- "Goodbye to Bucky"
- "What Makes a Hero"
- Despite being a special, only 12 golden doubloons were collected.
- It is revealed that the pirates are unhappy if Bucky is taken away, showing that they think of him as a true friend.
- Izzy says "Pixie Dust Away!" twice, the first time in a sad way after they lost the race, and the second time to get the golden bell to be hit with pixie dust so Skully can carry it is.
- This is the second episode that lasted over 30 minutes.
- Peter Pan is shown throwing dubloons in the air after the song Way to Go Crew yet he didn't collect any in the episode.
- After Jake and his crew found out that they've lost the race and have to hand over Bucky, Izzy says "Pixie Dust Away!", sprinkling pixie dust on Jake, Izzy, and Cubby to make them fly. According to the song You Can Fly, it talks about how the pixie dust will only work if "there's a smile in your heart..." meaning you must think of happy things, and the three of them are the exact opposite (hence Skully having to warn Cubby to not fall into the water) So technecally, the pixie dust shouldn't make the three of them fly since they're in a rather depressed mood in that particular scene.
- In this episode, Bucky loses his bell to Captain Hook, who throws it overboard. He gets a new bell from the pirates who retrieved it from the island. Though in newer episodes, Bucky's bell is replaced by his old one, and the new one is nowhere in sight. It is likely that this episode (or the episodes following this one) are non canon to the series.
- At the end of the episode when Jake saves Bucky, the pirates sail back to Pirate Island, whilst Peter Pan is seen flying above the ship (interestingly enough, the animation of Peter flying is recycled from the end of Peter Pan Returns). However in the next scene, which is transitioned from a sparkle of Pixie Dust, Peter is shown on Bucky despite flying the previous scene.
- Second appearance of Peter Pan. ("Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Peter Pan Returns") Also, Marina's only appearance was during a clip during the song when the pirates are sad about losing Bucky.
- The episode's ending recycle's the ending of Peter Pan Returns in which it ends with Peter and his shadow flying back to the Land Beyond the Never Sea.
- The books that Sharky and Bones as well as Mr. Smee hold for Captain Hook to be read are parodies of Green Eggs and Ham, Goodnight Moon, and The Three Little Pigs.
- Hook mentioning "The Little Pirate Ship That Could" is similar to the book The Little Engine That Could.
- The song Our Ship's Better Than Yours is similar to the song Our Movie's Better Than Yours from the Phineas and Ferb episode "Nerds of a Feather". Also, the screen splits for both side to been in the song in both cases.
Despite being a special, a mere 1.883 million watched the special, down 39% from Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Peter Pan Returns. it was the 19th most watched program for the day.
- Colin Ford - Jake
- Madison Pettis - Izzy
- Jonathan Morgan Heit- Cubby
- David Arquette - Skully
- Corey Burton - Captain Hook
- Jeff Bennett - Mr. Smee
- Loren Hoskins and Jeff Bennett (speaking) Kevin Hendrickson (singing) - Sharky and Bones
- Adam Wylie - Peter Pan
- Dee Bradley Baker - Tick-Tock the Crocodile, the Dragon, Brightly the Firefly
- Loren Hoskins - Sandy the Starfish
- Russi Taylor - Gilly the Goldfish