During his early career, the tall, dark haired actor was a natural to play characters such as Pat Ryan in the 1940 serial Terry and the Pirates and was given the lead in the 1940 film, Li'l Abner. However, he is perhaps most remembered for his role as Bud Searcy in Disney's classic, Old Yeller and its 1963 sequel, Savage Sam. Beverly Washburn played Lisbeth Searcy, Bud's daughter. York also appeared in The Great Locomotive Chase, Westward Ho, the Wagons!, and Johnny Tremain, which were all part of Walt Disney's productions.
York attracted considerable attention in the mid-1950s with his television portrayal of Mike Fink, the flamboyant keelboat operator in two episodes of Disney's hugely popular Davy Crockett miniseries in the episodes "Davy Crockett's Keelboat Race" and "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates." York was cast opposite Fess Parker in the role. The first episode featured a memorable boasting contest and a keelboat race, with Fink's boat named The Gullywumper; in the second, Crockett and Fink join forces to fight a band of river pirates, who blame their depredations on local Native Americans.
|“||Girls run and hide, brave men shiver...I'm Mike Fink, king of the river!||”|
He also starred as mountain man/fur trapper Joe Crane in two different Disney series, The Saga of Andy Burnett, adapted from the Stewart Edward White novel The Long Rifle and Zorro.
|“||You see before you Joe Crane, as big as life and twice as nasty!||”|
In addition, York was a guest star of The Lone Ranger (2 episodes), Waterfront, Studio 57, Medic, Fireside Theater, You Are There (2 episodes), The Californians, Peter Gunn, Bronco, Lawman (2 episodes), Cheyenne, The Rifleman, Outlaws, Perry Mason (3 episodes), Daniel Boone, Zorro (3 episodes), and The Iron Horse.
- 1963 Savage Sam - Bud Searcy
- 1957 Old Yeller - Bud Searcy
- 1957-1958 The Saga of Andy Burnett - Joe Crane
- 1957 Zorro - Joe Crane
- 1957 The Liberty Story - Actor
- 1957 Johnny Tremain - James Otis
- 1956 Along the Oregon Trail - Hank Breckinridge
- 1956 Behind the Scenes with Fess Parker - William Campbell
- 1956 Davy Crockett and the River Pirates - Mike Fink
- 1956 Westward Ho, the Wagons! - Hank Breckenridge
- 1956 The Great Locomotive Chase - William Campbell
- 1955 Davy Crockett and the River Pirates - Mike Fink
- 1955 Davy Crockett's Keelboat Race - Mike Fink
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Jeff York. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|