James Eugene "Jim" Carrey is a Canadian-American actor, comedian, impressionist, screenwriter, and producer. He is best known for his many film roles, such as Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber and its 2014 sequel, the titular character in The Mask, the titular character in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and its sequel When Nature Calls, the Riddler in Batman Forever, Ernie "Chip" Douglas in The Cable Guy, Fletcher Reede in Liar Liar, Thomas Popper, Jr. in Mr. Popper's Penguins, Count Olaf, the main antagonist of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, the titular character in the 2000 live-action adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and the titular character in Blue Sky's adaptation of Horton Hears a Who!. He also played Dr. Ivo Robotnik in the 2020 film, Sonic the Hedgehog and will do it again in the sequel Sonic the Hedgehog 2. For Disney, he voiced Ebenezer Scrooge, in all his various forms, and also all three of the ghosts in the 2009 Robert Zemeckis adaptation of A Christmas Carol, as well as providing motion capture. He also played an adult Joe Wenteworth in the 1998 Hollywood Pictures film, Simon Birch.
- Carrey was originally considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story along with the late Paul Newman (who did Doc Hudson in Cars 1 and 3) as Sheriff Woody. However, Tim Allen was cast at the end.
- Carrey was originally considered for the role of Flik in A Bug's Life before the role was later given to Dave Foley.
- Carrey was once considered to play Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, along with Michael Keaton, Christopher Walken, and Hugh Jackman. However, Johnny Depp was cast at the end.
- Carrey was also the favorite choice for the role of Loki Laufeyson in Thor, but at the end, Tom Hiddleston, one of the actors who originally auditioned for the role of Thor, was cast instead.
- Jim was originally offered the role of Michael "Goob" Yagoobian in Disney's Meet the Robinsons, but turned it down to star in the film The Number 23. However, Stephen J. Anderson was cast at the end.
- He was once considered to voice Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy along with Adam Sandler, Sharlto Copley, David Tennant, Michael Rooker, and H. Jon Benjamin. In the end, Bradley Cooper was cast.
- He and most Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls props were featured in Disney MGM Studios' Studio Backlot Tour in 1995.
- He lost a chunk of his front tooth in a childhood biking accident. He usually wears a cap over it, but he takes it off for his role as Lloyd Christmas because it fit the character so perfectly.
- Carrey was considered for the role of Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. Instead, the part went to David Tennant.