- “The captain says you're a friend. I will not kill you.”
- ―K-2SO to Jyn[src]
K-2SO (sometimes spelled Kaytoo Esso or Kay-Tuesso) is a reprogrammed Imperial Enforcer droid who appears in the Star Wars film, Rogue One. He was originally built to serve in the Galactic Empire's armed forces, until at some point got reprogrammed by Captain Cassian Andor to serve the Rebel Alliance.
Unlike most KX-series droids who were effectively emotionless, K-2SO's reprogramming led to the development of a fully self-aware personality; he was cynical, blunt and did not hold back his opinions, but he was well-meaning and honest. He was also prone to sarcasm and stoic, often mentioning that he had calculated the poor odds of success in any given situation (which Cassian Andor would then refuse to hear). His sarcasm extended to the point where he would disobey minor orders and prove his ability in given missions, as seen on Jedha. K-2SO was fairly independent and frequently disobeyed orders he felt were counterproductive, scolding his organic compatriots for ignoring his advice. He genuinely regarded Cassian as a friend, however, K-2SO was selfless to the point where felt no hesitation in sacrificing himself in order to protect him and Jyn Erso during their mission to steal the Death Star plans.
Powers and Abilities
- Droid Strength: As a droid, K-2SO was physically stronger than most other sentient beings.
- Droid Durability: As a droid, K-2SO could take far more damage than most other sentient beings.
- Master Analyst:' Despite not being an analyst droid, K-2SO could estimate if his allies' tactical strategies were 97% or 100% effective; it was likely that he was programmed with this feature, by the Rebel Alliance.
Role in the Film
On Jedha he is told to stay with the ship, but later reappears to help Jyn and Cassian to fight off Stormtroopers after Saw Gerrera's henchmen make an attack on an Imperial cargo transport. He later helps them out of Jedha.
On Eadu he is told to stay with the ship, which he does. He later agrees to accompany Jyn to obtain the Death Star plans, and on Scarif imperial base he communicates to Cassian and Jyn the location of the Death Star plans in the control room. Jyn gives him her blaster before attempting to steal the Death Star plans. He tries to fend off attacking Stormtroopers but eventually succumbs due to multiple shots from them.
K-2SO is the assist character for Cassian Andor, available as a Unique card.
- K-2SO's name was first revealed in a preview of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide, though the source listed him as both "K-2SO" and incorrectly as "K-250".
- "Rogue One: 22 New Photos from the 'Star Wars' Film". Entertainment Weekly (December 3, 2016).
- "Star Wars: Rogue One Mini Build". Bookmanager (December 3, 2016).
- STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE LEAK REVEALS NEW CHARACTERS, NAMES, VEHICLES