King Andrias Leviathan is the main antagonist of the Disney Channel animated series Amphibia. He is a giant newt and the ruling monarch of Amphibia, residing in the capital city of Newtopia. Masked behind a bubbly, lighthearted veneer, Andrias is a megalomaniacal tyrant. As the descendant of dimensional conquerors, he seeks to use the power of the Calamity Box to take over all worlds.
While putting on an act to gain the trust of others he appears to be jolly, fun loving, goofy, kind and helpful. In spite of his royal status he is uninterested in upholding etiquette and good manners. He really enjoys human customs and slang.
- Anne: "Alright, big guy. Send us home."
- King Andrias: "In good time, my dear. But first, I'm going let you in on a little secret. There was a time when Newtopia was truly great. But that greatness was stolen from us. Centuries of prosperity brought to an end because of me. I was weak, trusting those who said they were my friends. And because of that, the music box was taken under my watch. It cost us everything. And after 1,000 years, no one even remembers our legacy. But now, at long last, the box is back. And with it's power, Newtopia will be returned to glory!"
- Hop Pop: "Oh, well that's nice."
- Anne: "Something’s wrong here."
- King Andrias: "For you see, my ancestors weren't frail explorers. They were glorious conquerors!"
- ―King Andrias reveals his true motives
In "True Colors", Andrias Leviathan reveals his true malevolent nature; a conquering warlord mad with power that will stop at nothing to restore Amphibia back to it's former self and is not satisfied with ruling just one world, but desires to follow in his ancestors' footsteps and conquer and rule over other worlds as well. The most disturbing element of this is the fact that even when his true nature is revealed, Andrias continued to act in his cheerful, condescending demeanor. He is ruthless and cunning, able to manipulate both Anne and Marcy to get the Calamity Box back in his possession with all three stones charged and showed no remorse after he revealed his deception, even going so far as to mock Marcy for her naivety. He has shown great ferocity in battle, even roaring at times.
Much of his anger and resentment seems to come from feeling betrayed by those he trusted most. When the Calamity Box is removed by Polly, he threatens to kill Sprig by dropping him out the window, and when Anne gives him what he wants, he drops Sprig anyway to teach Anne a "lesson" about friendship, showing him to be a psychopath as he showed no empathy for his cruel deeds.
- “Now that's king sized”
- ―Anne commenting on Andrias' size[src]
King Andrias is a giant, newt with light blue skin and a lighter underbelly; he's so tall that Anne, Marcy, Sasha and his royal guards in full armor stand at only the height of his knees. Andrias very stocky and muscular and has white hair with a full beard and crows feet. He wears a dark purple metal suit of armor that has an X shaped battle mark on the left abdomen over a lighter colored shirt with cuffs similar to a Victorian aristocrat. He wears a crown on his head and has pauldrons shaped like snail shells; the right pauldron has a smaller X shaped battle mark on it. He also wears a gold snake belt and a purple and yellow tunic.
Powers & Abilities
- Tactical Intelligence: King Andrias is a patient and brilliant strategist as well as an expert on subterfuge and psychological warfare.
- Advanced Scientific Knowledge: King Andrias knows much about the technology forgotten by the rest of Amphibia as he is able to properly use the various ancient machines.
- Combat Capabilities: Befitting his size, Andrias Leviathan has tremendous physical strength and is a highly capable warrior that has a lot of battle experience.
- Laser Sword: His primary weapon in combat. When King Andrias strikes the ground with it, he can create a massive shockwave.
- Energy Shield: Seems quite durable but cannot withstand an attack from a gem powered Anne for very long
- Frog-Bot Army: Robotic Soldiers that obey his every command.
Role in the series
At some point Andrias Leviathan took the throne of Amphibia. Naturally as king he resides in his world's capital Newtopia. Over a 1,000 years ago before the start of the series, Andrias was in possession of the Calamity Box, a magical music box that his ancestors used to travel to and conquer other worlds, but he was betrayed by two amphibians who he considered his friends and the artifact was stolen from him, witch from his perspective ended centuries of prosperity in Newtopia. Andrias waited patiently over the next millennium to get his hands on the box again so he could finish his ancestors' evil work of invading and enslaving entire worlds. During that time the inhabitants of Amphibia forgot Newtopia's dark legacy.
After the Barbi-Ant invasion was thwarted, King Andrias watches Anne and Marcy within the castle from afar, as he then walks over to a chess like board surrounded with other pieces. He then states that the pieces are beginning to fall into place, as he places a figure in appearance similar to Anne beside another figure in similar appearance to Marcy, while declaring that it's time for the game to begin.
Andrias sent a "puzzlegram". Rather than giving a direct message, the King gives clues that are spread over the city that together form the true message. Upon decoding the message it said "Bring Me The Plantars".
The king greets Anne and the Plantars in a super friendly way; easily earning the trust of Anne like he did Marcy. He asks to see the music box, which the Plantars do not have, but Anne has a photo of it. Andrias notices that the gems are gray rather than colored, but nevertheless promises to help Anne and Marcy get back home. In order to do so, Marcy must do some research in the archives. In the meantime, Andrias gives the Plantars a gold credit card that will get them whatever they want in Newtopia.
- King Andrias: "According to this book, it's a magical artifact that is thousands of years old. Apparently, my ancestors used it to visit entirely different worlds. They were peaceful explorers, scientists, if you will. These three stones are the key to getting it working again; they need to be recharged."
- Anne: "Recharged? How?"
- King Andrias: "The book mentions three different temples, each channeling a different kind of energy and once the stones are recharged..."
- Anne: "We'll have a way home?!"
- King Andrias: "Steal my thunder, why don't you? But yes! Boom! Eh, eh?"
- ―The King revealing information about the music box
After Andrias and Marcy looked through every book in the royal archives, Marcy stumbles upon a secret passage way leading to a secret wing of the archives; they decide to go down there and continue their research. Anne, the Plantars and Marcy meet with Andrias, who shows them a book with information about the music box; in order for the box to be reactivated, the three gems on the box need to be charged at three different temples, but the book only reveals one of the temples' locations; Andrias deliberately left out the part that recharging the gems would sever the human girls' to link their respective stones. As Marcy watches Anne leave with the Plantars, Andrias ominously comes up to her with a proposition. He told her that he would take her and her human friends to other worlds with him so that they could have more amazing adventures and stay together forever; all Marcy had to do was bring the music box to him once the all 3 gemstones were charged. After he got word that Marcy and her friends were successful on their mission he went into a secret chamber to inform a mysterious entity.
- “I must admit even I'm surprised. Somehow you still got the gift kid, which means I can't let you live.”
- ―King Andrias sees Anne as a threat[src]
When the human girls and their friends arrived with the charged music box, Sasha and Grime tried staging a coup; fortunately for Leviathan, the efforts were in vain thanks to Anne and her allies. Anne ignored Sasha's warning about what she had learned about the ruler of Amphibia and subdued her. With Andrias freed from the dungeon, he ordered the royal newt guard to round up and arrest all the toad rebels in the city. Anne finally hands the box back over to Andrias who reveals that many years ago, Newtopia was once a much greater city, but that after losing his allies, the box was stolen away and after 1,000 years nobody remembers how Amphibia used to be. Now that he has the music box back, he tells everyone he will return Newtopia to its former self; not as a city of knowledge, but as a feared conquering empire. The box empowers the castle, allowing it to arise from the city up into the sky so high that everyone back in Wartwood can see it. Then a signal was sent to the ancient factories to be reactivated and they began to build robotic minions for the giant newt king that flew to his castle and arrived within seconds. Andrias then told Anne and the others that now that he had the music box back, he would rule over all worlds from his flying castle and the first world he was invading was Earth. When Anne and Sasha told the king they would stop him, he decided to demonstrate his power by using his castle's giant laser cannon to destroy a toad tower. Marcy was confused, telling Andrias that this wasn't the plan they talked about only for Andrias to reveal he had deceived her. Andrias then decided to divulge another truth to Anne and Sasha; that Marcy got them stranded in Amphibia on purpose, shocking them both. Marcy comes clean about her actions that she knew all along about the Calamity Box's power, and because her parents were going to move them away, she had hoped that the box would take them to a world were all 3 human girls would always be together, then she falls to her knees crying with remorse while Leviathan taunted her for spilling her heart out to him over Flipwart. Anne is hurt by this information, but rallies her friends together to face Andrias and his newly built Frog-bot army. Both General Yunan and Lady Olivia defected from Andrias during the battle. Frobo is destroyed while protecting Polly. Just when he tries to smash Polly too, she finally grows a pair of legs and escapes his fatal blow. She runs and grabs the box, but Leviathan grabs Sprig and threatens to drop him out the window if the box isn't put back. After the group complies with his demand, Anne begs him to put down Sprig, but Andrias decides to drop him anyway out of spite. To Andrias' disbelief, Anne starts to glow blue, meaning she is still connected to the second gemstone of the Calamity Box; while he is distracted, Marcy flies on Joe Sparrow to rescue Sprig. After an intense battle, Anne powers down and passes out, showing Andrias that the human girl doesn't have full control over her powers yet. Despite not being fully recovered, he manages gather enough strength to get up and walk up to Anne and the Planters. Just as he is about to kill Anne, Marcy steals the box and uses it to open a portal to earth, and a reformed Sasha and Grime kept Andrias at bay while Anne and the Planters escaped through the portal (with Polly taking Frobo's head). However, Andrias thrusts his laser sword through Marcy just as the portal closes before she can join them.
- "Marcy at the Gates"
- "The Plantars Check In"
- "Lost in Newtopia"
- "A Day at the Aquarium"
- "The First Temple"
- "True Colors"
- King Andrias' first and last names may reference few things:
- Andrias is a genus of giant salamanders (the largest living amphibians in the world), which might also reference King Andrias' large size.
- Leviathan is a mythical creature from Hebrew mythology, often depicted as a large serpent.
- King Andrias has many things in common with all 3 human girls
- He is can be seen as an evil counterpart of Anne; they share blue as a color motif and they both have casual fun loving charismatic personas.
- He is a dark reflection of what Sasha could've been had she not reformed and made amends with Anne, because he also had close friends who he felt turned their back on them most likely due to his misdeeds.
- Like Marcy he is very intelligent, enjoys puzzles and was hiding more information about the Calamity Box than he let on.
- His laser sword is most likely inspired by the Lightsabers of the Star Wars franchise.