The Seven Princesses of Atlantica (commonly referred to as the Daughters of Triton) are the seven daughters of King Triton and Queen Athena, debuting in Disney's 1989 animated feature film, The Little Mermaid.
Attina is the first and oldest daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena and the heir apparent of Atlantica. Her age and status as the Crown Princess causes her to feel a strong sense of responsibility to her kingdom and for her sisters. She is described by them as being bossy, but ironically, she herself is often bossed around when her siblings outvote her. She is highly educated, well read and has a pet catfish named Fin-Fin. She is also known for having a calm and rational demeanor that carries a regal presence and shares a close bond with Ariel.
- She is 21 years old in the prequel.
- Her favorite hobby is researching the history of the sea.
- Her pet peeve is merfolk who litter in the coral reef.
- Her biggest fear is letting her father down.
- Her favorite food is kelp wrap sandwiches.
- Her favorite color is orange.
- Her favorite genre of music is classical.
- Her favorite instrument is the harp.
- In a Disney Princess Magazine, she married a prince from a far-away kingdom.
Alana is the second daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena. Her hair decoration is similar to a crown, and like Attina's and Triton's, has five points, although in a different style, representing that she is currently next in line to the throne after Attina. She appears to be the one who is most interested in beauty and health. She speaks of her looks often, but she is, by no means, selfish or vain.
- She is 20 years old in the prequel.
- Her sisters say she's glamorous.
- Her hobbies are picking wildflowers and making beauty creams.
- Her pet peeve is having a bad hair day.
- Her biggest fear is having scaly skin.
- Her favorite color is violet.
- Her favorite food is low-salt coral blossom stew.
- Her favorite music genre is jazz.
- Her favorite musical instrument is the tambourine.
- In the books, she is shy, likes to spend time tending her sea garden, and has a pet sea turtle.
- In the TV series she has a friend named Pearl who is a party girl.
- She has the most lines in the Broadway musical version.
Adella is the third daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena. In the prequel, she is boy-crazy and wishes to dance with, and later kiss a boy. For some reason, she has also gone through a transformation in her life - in her early years, she was shapely and thin. After Triton reinstated music, she gained a little weight, as seen in the TV series. However, in the sequel, she appears to have lost the weight she gained. In the prequel, she states she is 2 years older than Ariel, putting her birth order at odds with this statement. In the end of Ariel's Beginning, she got to kiss a merboy she liked named Stevie.
- She is 19 years old.
- Her sisters say she's boy-crazy.
- Her hobbies are talking about boys and dancing with Sluggie.
- Her pet peeve is when Andrina makes fun of her.
- Her biggest fear is that she will never be kissed.
- Her favorite color is chartreuse.
- Her favorite food is sea cucumber sandwiches.
- Her favorite genre of music are romantic ballads.
- Her favorite musical instrument is the violin.
- In the books, she tends to be shallow and vain, and she has many dates with merboys.
Aquata is the fourth and middle daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena. She is the most obsessive-compulsive of them all - when Arista borrowed her things, including her hairbrush, her "lucky" seashells, her pillow, and her stuffed seahorse, Mr. Fuzzyfinkle, she displayed frustration and some hostility, and an impulse to get her things back immediately. She isn't a good dancer, even saying herself that she looks "like a spastic piece of kelp". Her sisters encourage her to dance anyway, and she grows more confident (but not any better at dancing), even starting a conga line at the end of Ariel's Beginning. The original comics denote her as the oldest daughter, as she mentions being nervous about becoming queen.
- She is 18 years old.
- Her sisters say she's tough.
- Her hobbies are water sports.
- Her pet peeve is when Arista borrows her stuff.
- Her biggest fear is dancing in public.
- Her favorite color is blue.
- Her favorite food is sea daisy stir-fry.
- Her favorite genre of music is rock n' roll.
- Her favorite musical instrument are the drums.
- Her name means "watery" in Latin.
- She is a horrible dancer.
Arista is the fifth daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena. She wears her hair in a ponytail similar to Aquata's, although their bangs are different. She tends to take a lot of Aquata's things in Ariel's Beginning. In her television appearances, she tended to be jealous of Ariel's adventurous ways and joined her on adventures. Based on the prequel, she is the most energetic one, though she adopts a more by-the-rules personality, by the time of the TV series, as shown in the episodes "Against the Tide" and "Beached". Although, in the latter, a small bit of her energetic side surfaces again to help Ariel stop thieves from robbing the Royal Treasury.
- She is 17 years old.
- Her sisters say she's fun-loving.
- Her hobbies are playing in the band.
- She doesn't know what a pet peeve is.
- Her biggest fear is forgetting a rehearsal.
- Her favorite color is red.
- Her favorite food is sea sponge swirl (almost like cotton candy).
- Her favorite genre of music is calypso.
- Her favorite musical instrument is the horn (although a clarinet is pictured).
- She plays the undersea equivalents to both a saxophone and clarinet in Ariel's Beginning (and both could be called horns).
Andrina is the sixth daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena based on differing source materials. She appears to be the joker of them all, as seen by her many jokes in the prequel.
- She is 16 years old in the prequel.
- Her sisters say she's witty.
- Her hobbies are gossiping, exploring, and swimming with dolphins.
- Her pet peeve is merfolk who can't take a joke.
- Her biggest fear is having a boring life.
- Her favorite color is lavender.
- Her favorite food is everything.
- Her favorite genre of music is pop.
- Her favorite musical instrument is the guitar.
- Main article: Ariel
Ariel is the seventh and youngest daughter of King Triton and Queen Athena. She is adventurous and curious, especially about human things. She also enjoys music and singing, but can sometimes forget about responsibilities she has. She can also be easily distracted. She is the only princess of Atlantica without any specific hair accessory. She is the first to become a human and Melody's mother in her later years after being married to Eric. She is the fourth official Disney Princess.
- She is 15 in the prequel and the TV series, until the first movie in which she is 16.
- Her sisters say she's unpredictable.
- Her hobbies are collecting gadgets, gizmos, whooz-its, whats-its, and thingamabobs.
- Her pet peeve is rules that don't make sense.
- Her biggest fear is being told that something is impossible.
- Her favorite color is emerald.
- Her favorite food is the surface food called strawberries.
- Her favorite genre of music is every kind.
- Her favorite musical instrument is the piano.
Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista, and Andrina first appear in the original film, introduced during the "Daughters of Triton" sequence. They perform in the concert that Sebastian is putting on that will be the musical debut of their youngest sister, Ariel. However, much to their shock and embarrassment, Ariel fails to show up, resulting in the concert being ruined. Later in the film, they are the first to notice Ariel's unusual happy behavior, with all of them quickly realizing that their younger sister has fallen in love (unaware at the time that she has fallen in love with a human named Eric), believing that the person Ariel has fallen in love with is a merman. At the end of the film, they are last seen attending Ariel and Eric's wedding as they all wave goodbye to Ariel.
Just like in the original film, Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista, and Andrina have minor roles in the prequel series; however, in some episodes, Alana and Arista respectively are supporting characters.
Attina, Andrina, Aquata, and Adella play minor roles in the 2000 direct-to-video sequel, as they all attend their newborn niece, Melody's christening. Alana and Arista are not seen in the film but it is likely that they have attended the christening (off-screen).
After the defeat of Ursula's sister Morgana, Andrina is the only one of Ariel's sisters to be seen at the end of the film.
In the prequel film, Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista, and Andrina all play much larger roles. After their mother, Queen Athena is killed in an accident when they were very young, they are all raised very strictly by their governess, Marina Del Rey. When Attina and her sisters discover that Ariel has been sneaking off to a forbidden music club, Attina and the other girls join her the next night. At the music club, the sisters enjoys the entertainment until King Triton arrives, fires Sebastian for disobeying his rules and has Marina escort the girls back to the palace. As punishment for their actions, the princesses are restricted to the palace.
In the rooms, Ariel tries to encourage her sisters to restore happiness and fun to the kingdom, but they all give up and tells Ariel that it's over and that no one is happy. Later in the film, Attina reports Ariel's unexpected disappearance to King Triton, prompting him to go out and find her. At the end of the film, music is restored to Atlantica thanks to Ariel. Attina embraces Ariel and thanks her.
With the exception of Ariel, the six older daughters appear in the third chapter of Serena Valentino's fourth novel. They are shown attending Ursula's funeral, under orders from their father (who wanted to make sure Ursula was given a proper burial).
A Twisted Tale: Part of Your World
In this storyline, when Triton was captured by Ursula and a voiceless Ariel returned to Atlantica with the trident, her sisters made her take on the role of Queen in Triton's absence, officially as a punishment for her role in Triton's 'death' but in reality because none of them wanted the responsibility. However, after Ariel regains her voice and learns that Triton is still alive, Attina, her eldest sister, accepts that her actions were unfair, and agrees to take on a role as regent once Triton returns so that Ariel can explore her new position as ambassador to the surface world.
All of the Mer-sisters appear in The Little Mermaid Live!. Their role is similar to their role in the Broadway musical; however, they also appear in Under the Sea instead of She's In Love because the latter song is omitted.
The Daughters of Triton also appear in some Disney On Ice shows, including Disney On Ice: Dream Big and Find Your Hero. They also appeared in Disney On Ice: The Little Mermaid and earlier versions of Passport to Adventure.
The Daughters of Triton appeared formerly in Disney Live! Mickey's Music Festival show from September 29, 2010 to March 2016.
While played very similar to the original film, the musical slightly expands the sisters' roles with the additional fact that Ariel is Triton's favorite daughter, due to her resemblance to their late mother and inheriting her beautiful voice, though he never outright admits it. This adds a sense of envy to the sisters, yet they all do show that they still love Ariel, and Triton continues to show he does indeed love all his daughters very dearly, despite his favoritism towards his youngest. The group is also granted a new signature song, "She's In Love", which they share with Flounder.
King Triton's Concert is a stage show in Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon Theater. In the show, they appear alongside Ariel and her friends on circular projection screens where they can be seen dancing and singing along to the music.
Attina and Andrina can be seen in the Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland versions of it's a small world. In the California version, they can be seen right as you pass into the tropical area, floating and singing alongside Ariel and Flounder. In the Hong Kong version, they can once again be spotted in the tropical area, right behind Nemo and Dory from Pixar's Finding Nemo. Andrina can also be seen in the animated series in the episode Tropical Hideaway.
- All of their names start with A, and with the exception of Ariel, their names all end with A as well.
- Each of Triton's daughters has different hair and eye color in the third movie, but in the first movie, they all have blue eyes.
- Originally, Aquata was the oldest sister and the heir to Atlantica's throne. However, this was retconned by Ariel's Beginning and switched her place with Attina.
- Point of reference, Adella admits in Ariel's Beginning, to being two years older than Ariel, therefore, making her the fifth daughter. This is strangely retconned by the aforementioned movie's DVD vanity game, where it's mentioned that Adella is four years older than Ariel, which would make her the third daughter.
- Attina is somewhat of an authority figure among the sisters. This most likely stems from the fact that she's the heir to Atlantica's throne and thus has taken on the responsibilities of a future queen.
- Out of all seven sisters, Ariel's the one who looks the most like their mother (though, personality-wise, she takes more after their father).
- Ariel and Adella are the only daughters whose seashell tops are not the same color as their tail.
- Arista is shown in the animated series to have Ariel's attitude just like her father.
- Arista's bangs often change sides between scenes.
- Another feature between them is that six have different updo hairstyles, while Ariel is the only one with her hair down.
- Like in the original story, they are all one year apart from each other.
- Although Ariel's Beginning lists their birth order as Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista, Andrina, and Ariel, the original film's song, "Daughters of Triton", strongly implies that their birth order was Aquata, Andrina, Arista, Attina, Adella, Alana, and Ariel.
- Their tails are the different colors of the rainbow.
- Arista - red; Attina - orange; Adella - yellow; Ariel - green; Aquata - blue; Andrina - purple; Alana - pink.
- In the prequel film, they have different eye colors.
- Attina - green; Alana - violet; Adella - teal; Aquata - brown; Arista - ice blue; Andrina - hazel; Ariel - blue.
- There is a color error on some of them in some clipart and Ariel's pages of the Disney Princess find it book.
- Arista is named after the record label of the same name.
- Unlike the rest of her siblings who are excellent dancers, Aquata is a horrible dancer. She claims it stems from the fact that she has no legs, even though merfolk are perfectly capable of dancing with their hips, indicating she is merely self-conscious.
- In the original fairy tale, the ceremony the sisters (all unnamed) take part in is when they go to the surface and talk about what they saw, which intrigues the little mermaid. In the end, they know about the deal the mermaid made with the sea witch, and they trade their hair for information on how to reverse it as well as a knife when the sea witch tells them the little mermaid has to kill the prince.
- Also in the original fairy tale, dancing was not popular among merpeople. The merpeople viewed dancing as a clumsy performing art. On the other hand, singing was practically sacred to merpeople.
- Also, while the Disney version of the story has all seven sisters, the original fairy tale has six (minus one when the Little Mermaid dies and becomes a sea foam).
- In addition, in the original fairy tale the Little Mermaid's five elder sisters are shown to have an established interest in humanity as they frequently plundered ships for objects while the Little Mermaid herself had no interest in collecting objects from the surface beyond her marble statue, only being interested in tending to underwater red flowers. Ironically in the Disney version however it is the complete opposite where it is only Ariel whom is interested in collecting human objects unlike her six elder sisters.