The LEGO Group is a privately-owned Danish multinational company that manufactures and licenses LEGO brand toys, video games, and theme parks. Though technically a competitor in the theme park industry, LEGO has produced toy lines based on Disney intellectual properties since 1999 and has operated retail stores at Disney theme park resorts since 1997. Its manufacturer company, The Lego Group, is based in Billund, Denmark.
Lego toy lines based on Disney intellectual properties include Mickey Mouse, Toy Story, Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel Super Heroes, Disney Princess, and perhaps most famously, Star Wars. Lego has produced Star Wars toys since 1999, thirteen years before Disney's acquisition of the franchise. Due to this, Star Wars Miniland attractions appear in several Legoland theme parks. The only other instance of Disney-owned intellectual property existing in a competitor's park is Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure. There is a blind bag series packaged with iconic characters from various Disney franchises in LEGO form.
The LEGO Store
LEGO operates retail stores worldwide, with several locations at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts:
- Disney Springs, Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida (opened October 6, 1997)
- Downtown Disney, Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, California (opened January 12, 2001)
- Disney Village, Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France (opened February 28, 2014)
- Disneytown, Shanghai Disney Resort, Shanghai, China (opened June 16, 2016)
- In LEGO's The LEGO Movie franchise, Chris Pratt voices Emmet Brickowski and Rex Dangervest, Elizabeth Banks voices Wyldstyle/Lucy, Will Arnett voices Batman, Alison Brie voices Unikitty, Charlie Day voices Benny, Nick Offerman voices Metal Beard, Will Ferrell voices Lord Business (aka President Business) and plays the Man Upstairs, Morgan Freeman voices Vitruvius, Keegan-Michael Key voices Foreman Jim, Liam Neeson voices Good Cop and Bad Cop, Stephanie Beatriz voices General Sweet Mayhem, Tiffany Haddish voices Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi, Maya Rudolph plays Finn and Bianca's mother, and Jadon Sand plays Finn.
- A few elements from The LEGO Movie are similar to that of Toy Story.
- Bionicle: Mask of Light, Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui, and Bionicle 3: Web of Shadows are part of LEGO's Bionicle franchise.