- Lama: Lama is short-tempered, critical, and hard of hearing. She is also dismissive of those younger than her.
- Hool: Hool is the passive and optimistic one of the three, although a chronic sleeper. When was young, she could get distracted and put off priorities.
- Qapa: Qapa is very gruff and bitter. Like Lama, he is dismissive of others, but he is helpful towards them regardless.
- Lama: Lama is a female magenta-colored Sunbird who's over five hundred years old. Her body is serpentine with yellow-feathered wings. Her crest and tail are yellow with red tips, inside of which are purple spots and a border similar to Quita Moz's. Her eyes are also cyan.
- Hool: Hool is a female purple-colored Sunbird. She is the longest of the Sunbirds seen. Her feathers are all pink, though the crest and tail feathers have a gradient.
- Qapa: Qapa is a male cyan-colored Sunbird. He has a stout serpentine body with orange-colored wings. Unlike the others, his crest feathers are square instead of pointed, and his neck feathers extend towards his crest, giving him the appearance of a neck frill. His crest and tail are orange with a blue rim and orange dot. He has brown eyes.
Role in the series
Lama, Hool, and Qapa make their debut appearance in "A Tale of Two Scepters". They help Quita Moz teach Elena how to use the Scepter of Light and unlock more of its power to combat Shuriki's Scepter of Night.
The three sunbirds return in "To Save a Sunbird", having fixed Elena's scepter offscreen after Shuriki blasted it with her scepter. No sooner does Elena get her scepter back than she learns that Hool used too much of her life force to fix it and is dying, to Elena's horror. Elena wants to heal her, and Zuzo advises her to take her to the pool of Aziluna in Avalor. Since Hool is too drained to fly there, Qapa and Lama use a Vidaflor to restore her youth for a few hours. Once in Avalor, young Hool is distracted by everything, ignoring the fact that she needed to be taken to Aziluna before the Vidaflor magic wears off. Once at the temple of Aziluna, before young Hool could dive into the water, the magic wears off because she has taken too long to get there, and she begins fading away. Anxious to save Hool, Elena dives into the water and swims to the statue of Aziluna and brings Hool the Breath of Life, saving her.