- “Let the beat drop”
- ―Lance Sterling
Lance is a tall African American man with brown eyes, big eyebrows, and a goatee. He wears a black/blue tuxedo. He also has a large goatee. However, in his pigeon form, Lance has bright blue upper feathers and jet black lower feathers. A bow shape color can be seen on his chest.
Powers and Abilities
- Skilled Super Spy: Being a highly trained spy, Lance is skilled with various spy-based abilities such as stealth, hand-to-hand combat, and usage of high tech gadgets.
- Sleepy Night-Night: Lance is able to knock his enemies out cold via a karate chop technique dubbed "sleepy night-night". However, as a pigeon, this is less effective.
- Pigeon Physiology: After accidentally ingesting one of Walter's experiments and transforming into a pigeon, Lance gains various pigeon traits such as flight, full 360 degree vision, and an urge to eat food from the ground. Lance can also use his beak to cut through various materials; this is evident during the hotel chase where Lance uses his beak to free himself and Walter while tied to a falling pillar. It is shown he has gained the ability to understand them. Later Walter developed a device that allows Lance to switch between his human and Pigeon forms in an instant, significantly increasing his abilities as a spy.
- Just like Tiana from Princess and the Frog, Lance is an African-American who gets stuck in an animal's body for most of the movie.
- Lance is Will Smith's first animated film role since Oscar in the 2004 DreamWorks animated film, Shark Tale.