As a member of the Church of the Force, a group that worshipped and supported the Jedi and their ideals, Lor was a strong supporter of the Jedi and unlike many, did not believe Palpatine's lies about the Jedi being responsible for the Clone Wars. As a seasoned explorer, Lor was highly knowledgeable about various planets throughout the galaxy, and it was his aid that helped to rebuild the Galactic Republic (as the Galactic Empire had tried to destroy many documents that would have allowed reconstruction). For decades, Lor and his comrades in the faith worked underground and in the shadows during Palpatine and Darth Vader's reign, searching for and protecting various ancient Jedi lore, such as artifacts and information, that the Empire tried to destroy. His locating of such Jedi artifacts and knowledge would eventually come to the attention of Luke Skywalker, of whom he became a staunch and unwavering ally.
- “You may try, but you cannot deny the truth that is your family.”
- ―Lor San Tekka's last words to Kylo Ren
Resistance pilot Poe Dameron had been sent to Jakku to meet with Lor, who had a piece of a map which would lead to Luke Skywalker. He assures Poe that this piece of the map will help make things right again, before the village is attacked by the First Order. Poe tries to escape while Kylo Ren confronts Lor, who knows about Kylo's real identity as Ben Solo. He is then cut down by the dark warrior, causing Poe to open fire on Kylo, which led to Poe's capture. Lor San Tekka's demise was not in vain, as the map that Lor gave to the pilot to protect it from the First Order ultimately made its way to the Resistance.
- Original designs of Lor San Tekka had his body augmented with cyborg body parts.
- Earlier in production, he was referred to as The Vicar.
- Reportedly, Lor's character would have been Wedge Antilles, and Denis Lawson had been selected to reprise his role. However, Lawson turned the role down, as he was enjoying doing television work, so Lor became the elder of Jakku. Lawson did reprise his role of Wedge Antilles in The Rise of Skywalker.