Makini is a young, dainty mandrill with grey fur covering her body with a pale gray underbelly. Toward her hands and feet are bands of dark brown fur, which are longer near her hands. This same brown fur collars her neck. Atop her head is a slightly lighter yet still dark brown fur. Her hands, feet, and muzzle are pink. Her face is grey which rims around the eyes, with blue stripes settling just underneath. On her nose and reaching toward her forehead is a large magenta 'stripe', which ends just before her eyebrows. Her eyes are olive green. Her teeth, whilst petite, are sharp.
She possesses a staff just like her mentor, but hers is adorned with various flowers of different colors, a leaf and two yellow gourds, one large and one small. She loses it after Ushari takes it and throws it on the volcano in Janja's lair.
Role in the Series
She was hiding in a bush, secretly watching Kion talking to his grandfather Mufasa; then she makes herself known to the lion cub, amazed at his ability. She also tells him that she is in training to be the next Royal Mjuzi under her mentor Rafiki.
When Chama, Mzaha and Furaha move into Rafiki's tree Makini says that they seem friendly and wants them to live there. Makini also is preparing for her painting ceremony for the Royal family.
Makini is asked to paint the elephant's sunburst on their heads. Ma Tembo soon finds out that the Lion guard doesn't look like lions so Makini decides to paint them yellow. Soon while painting Zito's sunburst Makini runs out of yellow paint and moves bee's from flowers so she can get more paint. During the celebration, the bees come to attack the elephants and the elephants act all crazy. When the bees are gone Makini apologizes and the elephants start a new tradition for the show.
Kenge bites Kion, Beshte and Fuli's leg Makini comes to help them.
Rafiki tells Makini the story on how Timon and Pumbaa brought Christmas in the Pridelands.
After Sumu the scorpion stings Simba the guard must go to the Outlands to get a gord. The gord will get help Simba to feel better when they get the gord they meet Scar and his army. The army attacks them but Kion uses his roar to scare them away.
Makini and Fuli go find Kongwe the oldest and wisest animal in the Pridelands. On their journey, they run into Makucha the leopard.
- Makini was first seen in early January 2017, on a French sticker album due for release in March 2017. The image of Makini was removed before release, but several months later the same image was used on a bucket in Poland. On June 27th 2017, a plush toy of Makini was released, despite her lack of appearances in the show itself. This makes Makini the first character in the series to have merchandise available ahead of her official debut.
- Makini means "calm", "quietly" or "careful" in Swahili, though she is the exact opposite and is rather energetic and talkative.
- She admires Fuli and Kiara.
- She is one of the few guest characters with a major role in The Lion Guard (she is a major character in Season 2, Scar is the main antagonist of that season). The others Jasiri, Makuu, Scar, and Ushari (Makuu was a major antagonist of Season 1 and Ushari is a major villain in Season 2).
- A running gag in the series is that Makini repeatedly loses her bakora staff, either broken, or in fire.
- Unlike Rafiki, Makini’s appearance is close to resembling a mandrill in real life; her tail, especially, is an actual mandril’s tail design.