|| "Even miracles take a little time."
This article features media from Disney or its subsidiaries that has yet to be released.
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
A fantasy adventure that picks up several years after Maleficent, in which audiences learned of the events that hardened the heart of Disney's most notorious villain and drove her to curse a baby Princess Aurora, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil continues to explore the complex relationship between the horned fairy and the soon to be Queen, as they form new alliances and face new adversaries in their struggle to protect the moors and the magical creatures that reside within.
- Angelina Jolie as Maleficent
- Elle Fanning as Aurora
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Queen Ingrith
- Sam Riley as Diaval
- Ed Skrein as TBA
- Harris Dickinson as Prince Phillip
- Imelda Staunton as Knotgrass
- Juno Temple as Thistlewit
- Lesley Manville as Flittle
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as TBA
- Robert Lindsay as King John
- Warwick Davis as TBA
- Jenn Murray as TBA
- David Gysai as TBA
- Judith Shekoni as Shrike
- John Carew as TBA
- Freddie Wise as Young Peasant
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil was originally scheduled for theatrical release on May 29, 2020, until it was moved up to October 18, 2019. The teaser trailer was released on May 13, 2019, and the official trailer was released on July 8.
- Harris Dickinson is taking over the role of Prince Phillip from Brenton Thwaites due to scheduling conflicts with the web series Titans.
- Actors Angelina Jolie and Chiwetel Ejiofor previously collaborated in the 2010 film Salt.
- This is Ejiofor's second role in a Disney live-action adaptation in the same year of 2019, following his voice role as Scar in The Lion King.
- Like its predecessor, the film changes the names of characters from the original animated film such as King John, who was renamed from King Hubert.
- The title Mistress of Evil was used for some foreign language versions of the first Maleficent film.
- This is the third sequel to a Disney live-action adaptation of an animated film after 102 Dalmatians and Alice Through the Looking Glass.
- This is the second sequel to a Disney live-action adaptation of an animated film not to have its music score composed by the same composer as its predecessor (James Newton Howard scored the previous film while Geoff Zanelli takes over for this film) after 102 Dalmatians (which was scored by David Newman).
- In addition, this is the second live-action adaptation that Geoff Zanelli has composed and scored, after Christopher Robin.
- Due to being released on the same day as Fox Searchlight Pictures' Jojo Rabbit, this marks the last time Disney theatrically releases both films on the same day. It is also the last time both a Disney film and a Fox film in general are theatrically released on the same day, due to conflicting schedule changes by Disney (which acquired 21st Century Fox, including 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures, back on March 20, 2019) and the fact that Disney will continue to release Disney films and Fox films on separate days from November 2019 onwards.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent 2 Taps Pirates of the Caribbean Director Joachim Ronning". Variety. (October 4, 2017)
- ↑ 'Maleficent' Sequel Adds 'Pirates 5' Composer (Exclusive)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 "Maleficent 2 release date moved up and title revealed". Deadline.com. (March 6, 2019)
- ↑ Angelina Jolie Says Maleficent 2 is Going to be a ‘Really Strong Sequel’
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BiLvV6QH4MW/?hl=es&taken-by=ellefanning
- ↑ "Michelle Pfeiffer in Talks to Join Angelina Jolie in ‘Maleficent 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)". (April 28, 2018)
- ↑ "Ed Skrein Lands Villain Role in ‘Maleficent’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. (April 17, 2018)
- ↑ "‘Trust’ Star Harris Dickinson to Play the Prince in Disney’s ‘Maleficent 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved on May 2, 2018.
- ↑ "My Family star Robert Lindsay teases his role in Disney's Maleficent 2". Digital Spy. Retrieved on July 15, 2018.
- ↑ "‘Fantastic Beasts’ Actress Jenn Murray Joins ‘Maleficent 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved on May 17, 2018.
- ↑ 'Maleficent' Sequel On Disney Drawing Board As Linda Woolverton Makes Scripting Deal
- ↑ "Chiwetel Ejiofor Reportedly In Talks For Maleficent 2". Screen Rant. (May 3, 2018)