McDonald's, often abbreviated as Mickey D's, is the world's largest chain of hamburger fast-food restaurants. Although not owned by Disney, it has done several promotional tie-ins with Disney films and properties. The McDonald's Corporation was responsible for promoting the Pixar movies released between 1998 and 2006. This partnership began from 1987 to 1991, and then again from 1997 to 2006. However, Disney partnered with McDonald's in 1993 to promote the re-release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
In 2018, it was announced that McDonald's will promote new Disney merchandise, as part of a move to provide healthier food to kids inside the Happy Meal. The partnership started in June with some of the first promotions including Incredibles 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet.
List of Disney promotions
- The Fox and the Hound (1981)
- The Rescuers (1983)
- Oliver & Company (1988)
- Mickey's Birthdayland (1989)
- The Little Mermaid (1989)
- The Jungle Book (1990)
- The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1991)
- Aladdin (1993)
- Epcot (1994)
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1994)
- Disneyland's 40th Anniversary (1995)
- Spider-Man (1995)
- Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection (1996)
- Marvel Superheroes (1996)
- 101 Dalmatians (1996)
- Hercules (1997)
- George of the Jungle (1997)
- Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection (1997)
- The Little Mermaid (1997)
- Sleeping Beauty (1997)
- The Jungle Book (1997)
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series (1998)
- Hercules (1998)
- Peter Pan (1998)
- Disney's Animal Kingdom (1998)
- Mulan (1998)
- Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998)
- The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998)
- A Bug's Life (1998)
- Recess (1998)
- Tarzan (1999)
- Inspector Gadget (1999)
- Doug's 1st Movie (1999)
- Toy Story 2 (1999)
- An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000)
- Dinosaur (2000)
- The Tigger Movie (2000)
- 102 Dalmatians (2000)
- Disney Video (2000)
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000)
- The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (2001)
- House of Mouse (2001)
- The Book of Pooh (2001)
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001)
- Monsters, Inc. (2001)
- Walt Disney World Celebrates 100 Years of Magic (2001)
- Return to Never Land (2002)
- Beauty and the Beast (2002)
- Lilo & Stitch (2002)
- Treasure Planet (2002)
- The Jungle Book 2 (2003)
- Finding Nemo (2003)
- Kim Possible (2003)
- Brother Bear (2003)
- The Haunted Mansion (2003)
- The Lion King 1½ (2004)
- ESPN Handheld games (2004)
- The Incredibles (2004)
- Pixar Pals (2005)
- Disneyland 50th Anniversary Celebration (2005)
- Chicken Little (2005)
- Cars (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- The Little Mermaid (2006)
- Incredibles 2 (2018)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)
- Toy Story 4 (2019)
- The Lion King (2019)
- Frozen II (2019)
McDonald's at Disney parks
The Village Fry Shoppe
This was the second McDonald's location at the Magic Kingdom, located in Fantasyland. Whereas Frontierland Fries only served fries and soda, the Village Fry Shoppe also served hot dogs, carrot cake, Jell-O, and milk (including soy). In 2009, it was renamed The Friar's Nook and given a new menu, consisting mainly of hot dogs and macaroni and cheese.
This was the sole McDonald's location at Epcot, located at World Showcase, near the Canada Pavilion. In addition to McDonald's fries, guests could also get genuine Chicken McNuggets and McFlurry desserts with a choice of Nestlé Crunch, Nestlé Butterfinger, or Orange blended in. In addition to Coca-Cola beverage products, guests could also get Nestlé products.
This was the sole McDonald's location at Disney's Hollywood Studios (back when it was known as Disney-MGM Studios), located in Sunset Boulevard. The place served McDonald's fries, soda, and Dasani bottled water. It became Toluca Legs Turkey Company and then, in 2016, Sunshine Day Cafe.
McDonald's sponsored the land and all of its attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom until 2008. A food shack called Trilo-Bites (originally called Petrifries) in the same area also sold McDonald's French fries until 2008. Restaurantosaurus originally served McDonald's burgers, fries, Happy Meals, Chicken McNuggets, and hot dogs until 2008.
Walt Disney World property
There have been two McDonald's locations at Walt Disney World. One was at Downtown Disney, which opened in 1997 and closed in 2010. The second location, near the All-Star Resorts and Disney's Blizzard Beach, opened in 1998. In 2009, it received an overhaul, but is still there today.
McDonald's restaurant in Disney Village
- Despite the fact that Doug's 1st Movie is produced by Disney, McDonald's adverts for the movie show Ronald McDonald at the end peeking behind the pencil line from the original Nickelodeon version's opening theme.
- Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 4 are the only movies in the Toy Story series to be promoted by McDonald's during their theatrical releases. The original Toy Story was promoted by Burger King while Toy Story 3 wasn't promoted by a restaurant.
- The Cars movie toys have variations, as there are clean and dirty versions of Lightning McQueen, and green, purple, and yellow versions of Ramone.
- In 2006, Bob Iger suspended Disney's promotional contracts with McDonalds, stating in interviews that he didn't want the company's image to be associated with the childhood obesity epidemic, with a smaller kid's meal promotional contract with Subway being started instead, a decision that lasted until 2018. As a result, Disney animated films from Meet the Robinsons up to Moana and Pixar films from Ratatouille to Coco would not receive a McDonald's promotion.
- The Cars character Fillmore was originally going to be called "Waldmire", named after Bob Waldmire, a Route 66 resident whom the crew befriended during a road trip to do research for the film. However, Waldmire was an ethical vegetarian, and since Fillmore toys would be featured in Happy Meals at McDonald's, he did not allow his name to be used.
- The song "Three is a Magic Number" from Schoolhouse Rock! was used in a McDonald's advert.
- The McDonald's Szechaun Sauce released to promote the movie Mulan has recently become a meme after being mentioned as a key plot point in the Adult Swim cartoon Rick and Morty.
Disney Parks locations
Happy Meals toys
- ↑ Tribune, Chicago. "McDonald's future Near West Side neighbors air parking, traffic safety beefs". Retrieved on August 18, 2016.
- ↑ Hufford, Austen (June 14, 2016). "McDonald’s to Move Headquarters to Downtown Chicago". Retrieved on August 18, 2016.
- ↑ Promoting Nutrition, Disney to Restrict Junk-Food Ads
- ↑ Bob Waldmire: "An ethical vegetarian"