Melinda Qiaolian May is a character from ABC/Marvel's 2013 television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Also known as the Cavalry, she is a legendary agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.. She is portrayed by Ming-Na Wen.
Agent May is an expert pilot and martial artist. Though she was once a legend in the agency, she mysteriously resigned herself to a quiet desk job in recent years. Further information temporarily classified. Security Level 7 required.
May is a "top-notch pilot, weapons expert, and soldier who is described as being soulful but damaged by her time spent in combat."
Powers and Abilities
- Pilot: May has the ability, to commandeer various aircrafts.
- Combatant: May is an extremely skilled agent in her ability to fight. She has displayed various martial arts and hand-to-hand combat skills.
- Empathy: Following her stay in the Fear Dimension, May developed the ability to experience the emotions of those in close proximity to her. The closer they were, the stronger she felt them.
In 2007, Melinda May and Phil Coulson went to Bahrain to find a woman with powers. When she unsuccessfully tried to reason with Eva Belyakov, this led to a battle between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Belyakov. May entered the hiding where Belyakov was, entering she realized that all men were under the control of Belyakov. After killing Eva, she thought men would be freed from her control but immediately she noticed that really Katya, the daughter of Eva was the one who controlled the other. As Katya wanted to attack her, she had no choice to shoot the girl, killing Katya.
In "Love in the Time of HYDRA", May spoke to Coulson about the possibility that Skye leave S.H.I.E.L.D. for a while, until she is able to control her powers. Coulson agreed and decided to take Skye to a cabin. Later, Talbot informed Phil Coulson and Melinda May that Grant Ward and Agent 33 had released Sunil Bakshi, for unknown reasons. After the conversation with Talbot, Coulson and May agreed that Alphonso Mackenzie was hiding something.
When Coulson found out that Mack and Bobbi Morse were not loyal to them, he sent May to confront Morse. She asked for whom she worked, Morse replied that for SHIELD. Thinking it was a lie, May and Bobbi Morse began to fight before Morse escape from the confrontation. She told Skye to flee from his hiding since learned that Gonzales' SHIELD would attack her. Later, May broke into Coulson's office and knocked out Gonzales, allowing Coulson escape. She finally surrendered after Coulson escape. After learning that Coulson withheld her the Theta Protocol, she asked Jemma Simmons to open Fury's toolbox.
Simons confessed to her that the case was fake and that Fitz had taken the original. May then told this to Mack and Morse and asked to hack into Deathlok's hardware to know the location of Coulson and Hunter. Having hacked Deathlok, she and Simmons saw Ward and Coulson teaming up.
When Phil Coulson came to Playground, Gonzales leave May decide if they should aid Coulson in his battle against HYDRA. May asked to speak alone with Coulson before deciding. She said she was annoyed by the Theta Protocol. May was suspicious about working with Ward after his betrayal. Later, she along with her friends and Ward broke into the HYDRA Arctic Research Base and rescued Deathlok and Lincoln Campbell.
- Her current ID badge serial number is A 078624; the card was issued on September 4, 2013, and expired on September 4, 2019.
- As seen in the episode "Face My Enemy", May has Jimmy Woo and Black Widow on her contact list.
- Melinda May, who is an original character, created for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., was adapted into the mainstream continuity, of Marvel Comics.