Mickey's Surprise Party is a short that debuted in 1939 at the New York World's Fair as a promotional short for Nabisco. Since then, it has often been edited to suit the snack products in question. It is also notably the first cartoon to feature Mickey and Minnie's 1939 redesigns.
Minnie bakes cookies to impress Mickey. Just as she leaves, however, her dog, Fifi, accidentally knocks popcorn into her batter while chasing a fly. Minnie, none the wiser, puts the batter in the oven. Minnie then prepares for the visit, as does Fifi. Mickey and Pluto then arrive.
Minnie accepts Mickey's flowers, but Fifi rejects Pluto's bone for some reason. Mickey smells something burning, Minnie suddenly realizes that she has baked the cookies too long, burning them. She rushes into the kitchen and she takes them out, but suddenly the popcorn starts popping, but not before Pluto accidentally swallows one, leading to him having an exploding cookie stuck in his belly while Mickey fights the burnt cookies with a water sprayer.
Minnie is very upset by her failure and breaks down and cries on the couch, saying that she wanted to bake cookies just like Mickey's mom. Mickey tries to comfort her, saying "My mother used to burn them all the time!" She starts crying even more, however, which leads to Fifi howling because she sees Minnie upset. When he sees Fifi upset, Pluto howls too.
Mickey suddenly has an idea and leaves with Pluto. Minnie looks up and notices Mickey and Pluto have left. She thinks they have left her and she cries even more. When they come back, they surprise Minnie with a variety of Nabisco products, including: Ritz Crackers, Oreos, Lorna Doone, Barnum's Animal Crackers, Social Tea Biscuits, Fig Newtons (Mickey's and Minnie's favorite), and Milk Bones (which Fifi accepts and kisses Pluto). The film ends with Minnie kissing Mickey all over his face. The cartoon fades to "The End", which fades to the Nabisco logo.
- Mickey Mouse (voiced by Walt Disney)
- Minnie Mouse (voiced by Marcellite Garner)
- Pluto (voiced by Clarence Nash)
- Mickey’s Mother (Mentioned)
Home video releases
- The Spirit of Mickey (edited)
- Minnie's Greatest Hits
- Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color
- When this short was released on the US VHS of The Spirit of Mickey and the non-US VHS of Minnie's Greatest Hits, the Nabisco snacks were edited to be generic-appearing snack foods via digital editing to remove the Nabisco references from the snacks' packaging in the original footage, and the audio when Mickey arrives with the snacks has been overdubbed by Russi Taylor.
- This cartoon didn't have Mickey's opening card.
- Walt Disney hated the idea of commercials and swore he would not do one until then.
- This is one of three Mickey Mouse cartoons (the other two being Minnie's Yoo Hoo and The Mad Doctor), and one of only a few Disney cartoons, in general, to be in the public domain and is freely distributed across online video websites such as YouTube. It is also the only color Mickey Mouse cartoon in the public domain, the other two are in black-and-white.
- The cartoon was shown at the 1939 New York World's Fair.
- This is notable for being the first Disney commercial sponsoring a company.
- Clarence Nash is the voice of Pluto in this short, not Pinto Colvig.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia page Mickey's Surprise Party. The list of authors can be seen in the . Text from Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.|