The land initially opened as Mickey's Birthdayland on June 18, 1988 in commemoration of Mickey's 60th birthday. The Walt Disney World Railroad ran a "Mickey's Birthdayland Express" train with special music and plywood characters along the train route. After the celebration ended, it became Mickey's Starland on May 26, 1990, and was briefly renamed Mickey's Toyland in late 1995 for Christmas. Mickey's Birthdayland and Starland were set in the city of Duckburg, with a variety of painted flats and facades depicting various landmarks of the city, in addition to statues of icons like Cornelius Coot and Scrooge McDuck. The land also hosted a Disney Afternoon stage show and petting zoo, which were removed during the land's retheme.
The land was closed in early 1996 for an extensive refurbishment, and reopened as Mickey's Toontown Fair on June 29th of that year (the Barnstormer roller coaster opened more than three months later on October 1st, coinciding with the park's 25th anniversary). Its storyline portrayed the land as the holiday home for the characters who reside at Mickey's Toontown in California, with the Cornelius Coot statue being the only survivor of the Duckburg theming.
Mickey's Toontown Fair was closed on February 11, 2011 in order to build the "New Fantasyland" expansion. Some elements of Mickey's Toontown Fair have been demolished and others have been re-themed to a new Storybook Circus area. The Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride was removed from Fantasyland and rebuilt in Storybook Circus, the new version doubling the capacity of the old ride and incorporating an interactive queue. The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm has been re-themed to The Barnstormer featuring Goofy as the Great Goofini. The first half of Storybook Circus opened on March 12, 2012, which included the newly themed "The Great Goofini", the Storybook Circus train station which was completely rebuilt and also one half of the new Dumbo ride. The second phase of Storybook Circus, including the second half of Dumbo, the indoor queue area, and the Casey Jr Splash 'n' Soak Station opened on July 2012.
Former attractions and entertainment
- The Barnstormer (rethemed as The Great Goofini)
- Donald's Boat (replaced by queue for The Great Goofini)
- Judge's Tent (replaced by a fast-pass area and sitting area)
- Mickey's Country House (replaced by Casey Jr. Splash 'n' Soak Station)
- Minnie's Country House (replaced by a pathway from Storybook Circus to Fantasy Forest)
- Pixie Hollow (replaced by Pete's Silly Sideshow)
- Toontown Hall of Fame (replaced by Pete's Silly Sideshow)
- Grandma Duck's Farm (replaced by The Barnstormer)
- Mickey's Magical TV World (replaced by County Bounty)
- Cornelius Coot's County Bounty
- Mickey's Toontown Fair Souvenirs
- Toontown Farmer's Market
- ↑ Mickey's Toontown Fair Train Station at Yesterland. Yesterland.com. Retrieved on September 6, 2013.