Housemates Mickey and Donald are six months overdue on their rent payments. As they worriedly pace the floor, a sheriff arrives, played by Pete, and serves them a "Notice to Dispossess" authorizing him not only to evict and arrest them, but to sell off their belongings as collateral. He menacingly strikes a match on Donald's bill to light his cigar and leaves.
While Pete is outside putting up signs for cheap furniture, Donald and Mickey decide to move before Pete can sell their belongings. Soon, Goofy, employed as an iceman, arrives with a delivery and Mickey and Donald enlist his help and the use of his truck.
While Mickey struggles with an overloaded suitcase, Goofy tries to load an upright piano onto the truck, but the piano keeps rolling out of the truck when he leaves it unattended or when he doesn't notice it. Goofy eventually discovers the piano to have a mind of its own and battles it around the house. Meanwhile, Donald, in his haste to pack everything he sees, grabs a gas heater which was attached to a gas line in the wall. Seeing the leaking gas, he casually plugs it with a toilet plunger, but the pressure in the line shoots the plunger out and it sticks to Donald's bottom. He struggles to remove the plunger, but soon finds himself grappling with a fishbowl instead.
Just as Donald is able to free himself, he gets his bill stuck in the leaking gas line. His body fills with gas like a balloon until he shoots off the pipe and flies around the room. Outside, Pete hears the commotion, comes inside, and orders them to sit down and listen immediately. Unaware of the gas leak, he again strikes a match on Donald's bill to light another cigar. The catastrophic explosion which follows destroys the house, yet miraculously seems to throw most of Mickey and Donald's possessions (including the piano) into the back of Goofy's truck. As they are driving away, Pete, sitting amid the wreckage with a "For Sale" sign over his head, yells after them from a second story bathtub "Hey you! Come back here!", but accidentally turns on the shower head drenching himself in hot water. As Donald laughs at Pete's Death/misfortune, the same toilet plunger from before lands on Donald's bottom, much to Donald's anger.
- Mickey Mouse (voiced by Walt Disney)
- Donald Duck (voiced by Clarence Nash)
- Goofy (voiced by Pinto Colvig)
- Pete (voiced by Billy Bletcher)
- Mickey Knows Best
- Goofy's Greatest Hits
- A Goofy Movie (included as part of "The Goofy Success Story")
- Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color
- Classic Cartoon Favorites: Starring Mickey
- This is the first depiction of Pete in color.
- The "Dispossess" word on the contract in the short was the same as Alice in Wonderland, when the words start to turn red and white fast.
- First time Goofy wears his trademark wardrobe, including his long-sleeved turtleneck shirt, his worn-out pants, and his floppy shoes.