He was the scourge of Nemea who was feared by all its inhabitants. In the film, the Nemean Lion appeared in the "Zero to Hero" song segment, where he was sent by Hades to kill Hercules. However, Hercules easily defeated him with a swift punch and a kick to the rear end thus increasing Hercules' fame.
The Nemean Lion (as a motionless animal due to him being defeated by Hercules) also appeared during the scene where an artist is painting a picture of Hercules' pose while wearing him while noticing Philoctetes reading with the artist telling him not to move while painting. Frustrated upon overhearing what Phil is talking about, Hercules throws away the sword and shields at the pottery to the artist is working on, causing him to fail in finishing the painting of Hercules' pose. After the artist leaves, Hercules then gets the lion off of him when Phil is explaining to him that he wants to go to Olympus.
He also appeared in the animated series, where it is revealed that he also fought a young Hercules but believed that Hercules' friend Icarus was the one who defeated him. In the episode, after having defeated all of Nemean's warriors, he grew bored and came to Athens, hoping to find some half-worthy heroes to fight him.
- In the original myth, the Nemean Lion is Hercules' first labor. He was immune to sharp weapons but was vulnerable to being bludgeoned.
- The Nemean Lion in the film bears a great resemblance to Scar from The Lion King.
- Ironically, during the part where Hercules throws the lion fur skin on the ground after the painting of Hercules on the pottery vase is ruined due to the artist rushing the pose much to Herc annoyed by Phil, the Nemean Lion's corpse transforms into Scar.
- Due to his body color, the lion in the movie could be based on the extinct Barbary Lion (a.k.a. Atlas Lion), which was a popular subject among ancient antique.
- In Once Upon a Time, the Nemean Lion doesn't appear. However, the creature was mentioned by Hercules when telling his adventures to a teenage Snow White. Also, one of his medals represents this creature.