- “Oh, come on! Is this all you people do? Isn't there anyone in Athens gutsy enough to fight the Nemean Lion?”
- ―The Nemean Lion[src]
He was the scourge of Nemea who was feared by all its inhabitants. In the film, the Nemean Lion appeared in the "Zero to Hero" song segment, where he was sent by Hades to kill Hercules. However, Hercules easily defeated him with a swift punch and a kick to the rear end thus increasing Hercules' fame.
The Nemean Lion (as a motionless animal due to him being defeated by Hercules) also appeared during the scene where an artist is painting a picture of Hercules' pose while wearing him while noticing Philoctetes reading with the artist telling him not to move while painting. Frustrated upon overhearing what Phil is talking about, Hercules throws away the sword and shields at the pottery to the artist is working on, causing him to fail in finishing the painting of Hercules' pose. After the artist leaves, Hercules then gets the lion off of him when Phil is explaining to him that he wants to go to Olympus.
- “How did you get me with that lame-o move? I swear, last time you knocked me so hard, I thought you were a demigod or something.”
- ―The Nemean Lion[src]
The Nemean Lion also appeared in the animated series. In "Hercules and the Hero of Athens", after having defeated all of Nemean's warriors, he grew bored and was looking to spread the terror and hoping to find some half-worthy heroes to fight him. Arriving to Athens, the Nemean Lion terrorized the employees at the Olive Works tour, until the young hero-in-training Hercules saves the day, albeit clumsily bringing down a building, by knocking the Lion out. Because Hercules could go to prison for the damage he caused, Icarus takes the blame and takes responsibility for defeating the Nemean Lion as well. However, the Nemean Lion escapes after Icarus moonlights as a superhero, the two battle only to have the Lion knocked out again by Hercules, with Icarus taking the credit again. Angry that his friend is getting all the credit, Hercules explains that he defeated the Nemean Lion both times. Icarus, refusing to believe, faces the Lion after it escapes once more without Hercules. Unfortunately, Icarus realizes that he didn't defeat the Lion when the latter suggested that he was knocked out by a demigod. Hercules comes to his aid at the last second, defeating the Nemean Lion once more, while Icarus gives up the superhero act. In "Hercules and the Big Games", the Nemean Lion is among Echidna's children gathered to attack the Big Games taking place in Athens. The Nemean Lion and all the other monsters were defeated by Hercules, before Echidna herself intervenes.
- In the original myth, the Nemean Lion is Hercules' first labor. He was immune to sharp weapons but was vulnerable to being bludgeoned.
- The Nemean Lion in the film bears a great resemblance to Scar from The Lion King. Possibly being a distant ancestor.
- Ironically, during the part where Hercules throws the lion fur skin on the ground after the painting of Hercules on the pottery vase is ruined due to the artist rushing the pose much to Herc annoyed by Phil, the Nemean Lion's corpse transforms into Scar.
- Due to his body color, the lion in the movie could be based on the extinct Barbary Lion (a.k.a. Atlas Lion), which was a popular subject among ancient antique.
- In Once Upon a Time, the Nemean Lion doesn't appear. However, the creature was mentioned by Hercules when telling his adventures to a teenage Snow White. Also, one of his medals represents this creature.
- An amphora of the Nemean Lion fighting Hercules appeared in the Mystic Manor attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland. It rocked around as they fought.