- “Have you ever wondered how nature gets its glow? Who gives it light and color as the seasons come and go? Who helps all creatures Great and small to walk? To swim? To fly? Who crafts such tiny details? You might see them if you try. For it's all the work of fairies, but they stay well out of sight. For the first time that baby laughs, a fairy's life takes flight.”
- ―The Narrator
Never fairies are magical creatures whose main function is to watch over nature and bring seasons to the Mainland. They are the main characters in the Disney Fairies franchise, and they're primary residents of Pixie Hollow.
When a baby laughs for the first time, a fairy is born. The laugh blows away and he or she is carried by the winds to Pixie Hollow. Once the laugh makes its way to the Pixie Dust Tree, a dust-keeper sprinkles Pixie Dust over the laugh, resulting in his or her birth. This is an event called "The Arrival". Winter fairies are born when the laugh travels across the border, into the Winter Woods.
After a Warm fairy is birthed, Queen Clarion welcomes them and commences the ceremony to discover what type of talent he or she has. She summons a circle of mushroom pedestals and fairies of each of the talent guilds bring objects to represent their talents; a flower from the garden fairies, an orb of light from the light fairies, a drop of water from the water fairies, a small whirlwind from the fast-flying fairies, a hammer from the tinker fairies, and so on. The artifacts float above the pedestals and the new born fairy is allowed to approach each one. If the fairy tries to take the wrong artifact, then it will fall/dissipate. Once the fairy finds the artifact corresponding to their own talent, it will start to glow. The brighter the artifact glows, the more naturally gifted the fairy is with their talent. We did not see how Winter fairies discover their talents, but it likely resembles the method used by their warm counterparts.
After the fairy discovers their talent, Queen Clarion asks to other fairies of the same talent guild to introduce themselves and gives the newborn a name.
Fairies can have siblings if the laugh blows away into more than one fairy. They have wings are exactly the same in their design and pattern. When they approach each other, their wings sparkle.
The average Never fairy stands at five inches tall (12.7 cm). They have pointed ears and four insect-like wings, the upper pair being larger than the lower pair. Each fairy's wing design is unique, there are no two that are exactly the same, with the exception of twins, two fairies born of the same laugh.
Fairies can appear to be of any ethnicity, although they usually have button noses and slanted eyes. In the films, however, it appears that some features and talents may be more likely to go together: for example, all Winter fairies tend to have either white or black hair, and many Light fairies have dark hair and skin.
Fairies clothes' are made out of nature materials, such as leaves and flower petals. Fairies wear clothing colored to the talent he or she belongs. Green for tinker fairies, red-pink for garden fairies, blue for water fairies, and so on. Zarina, as The Pirate Fairy, is the only fairy seen wearing non-natural clothing.
Each fairy or sparrowman is naturally gifted with a single, special talent. It reflects his or her most inner qualities and personality.
While all fairies have a talent, only those fairies who are the "Architects of nature" were allowed visit the Mainland while other fairies stayed in Pixie Hollow their whole lives. However, after the events of Tinker Bell, they were allowed to go the Mainland with the others.
Fairies can even grow their own Pixie Dust Tree, altgouht it requires a regular tree with the infusion of Blue Pixie Dust within it. Once done, the now special tree will produce regular golden Pixie Dust as soon the Blue Pixie Dust is dropping inside it.
Pixie Dust Alchemy was created by an incredible gifted and powerful dust-keeper named Zarina, that can change the natural properties of the regular Pixie Dust, giving it another colors and powerful special properties associated with the talents, and can even change the natural talent that a fairy possess if sprinkled on them. When a fairy changes his/her talent, the only way to reverts back to their original is to be sprinkled with the dust related to it.
Fairy talents include, but are not limited to:
|Tinker-talent||Tinker-talent fairies are skilled at using various tools to invent and fix things.||Tinker-talent fairies build things to help other fairies accomplish their own responsibilities more easily.|
|Water-talent||Water-talent fairies can manipulate water. They are able to control it in various ways, including forming it into various shapes, freezing it, boiling it, or using it to create fountains.||Water-talent fairies collect and redistribute water to where it is needed, such as putting dew drops on grass and spider webs.|
|Garden-talent||Garden-talent fairies can grow, control, and make bloom any vegetation in a matter of seconds.||Garden-talent fairies help plants grow.|
|Animal-talent||Animal-talent fairies have the unique ability to speak with any animal in its native tongue, whether it be a raccoon, bird, tree frog, or squirrel. They are extremely sensitive and can "read" an animal's thoughts or emotions. Like the animals they work with, animal-talent fairies have a keen sense of smell and excellent hearing.||Animal-talent fairies help raise baby animals, provide animals with guidance, and care for animals in distress. They know when an animal is frightened or sick and can tend to its needs to help it feel better.|
|Light-talent||Light-talent fairies can control and bend light at will, as well as control lights intensity. They may also look directly at the sun without burning their eyes.||Light-talent fairies move sunbeams into different positions, create rainbows, and capture and redistribute light to where it’s needed, such as in the tails of fireflies.|
|Fast-Flying-talent||Fast-Flying-talent fairies can control the air itself to create breezes, winds, and even whirlwinds. Fast-flyer fairies can also fly faster than any other creature or fairy.||Fast-Flying-talent fairies carry things on the wind, such as flower pollen. They also help new born laughs to Pixie Hollow.|
|Dust-talent||Dust-talent fairies are good at measuring quantities of Pixie Dust.||Dust-talent fairies collect Pixie Dust from the Pixie Dust tree and control the distribution of Pixie Dust rations.|
Winter Fairies possess talents that are unique to them and the season of Winter:
- Water: Fairies cannot fly if their wings get wet, even with Pixie Dust. Even water fairies cannot fly if their wing are wet. Fairies can fly again once their wings dry off.
- Hawks: Hawks are fairies' natural predators and will chase and eats them as soon they are under their eye.
- Temperature Sensitivity:
- Cold: Warm fairies cannot be exposed to winter temperatures. The cold will freeze their wings, causing them to break, permanently depriving them of their ability to fly.
- Heat: Winter fairies cannot be exposed to warm temperatures. The heat will shrivel their wings, causing them to break, permanently depriving them of their ability to fly.
- Normaly, there is no cure for a broken wing, however, when twin fairies align their wings, then the broken wing can be healed.
Fairies attends many events, such as:
- The Arrival: Where a fairy is born and discovers his or her talent.
- The Queen's Magazine: When Queen Clarion, with the help of the Minister of Spring, sees if anything is ready with spring a night before it is taken to the Mainland.
- Autumn Revelry: Performed in every eight years at the end of autumn on the Mainland, the Autumn Revelry is where dust-keeper fairies and the others gather Blue Pixie Dust to feed the Pixie Dust Tree. They also illuminates the sky with fireworks, train tadpoles to blow bubbles and a storm of butterflies flies through the blue sparkling air.
- Pixie Hollow Games: A race where fairies competing against each other. Each competing guild is represented by two fairies: The leader and their partner. They must work as a team, and both must finish an event together to count. Precisely how fairies are usually chosen to enter the games isn't completely detailed. Chloe trained and volunteered to represent the garden-talent fairies, and when nobody else volunteered a name was drawn from a basket to pick another at "random" - in reality, the basket only had Rosetta's name in it, as Rosetta had avoided competing in the game while her guild-mates had suffered humiliating defeats. The opening ceremonies take place at the Fairy Coliseum. The competitors enter the coliseum and are introduced to the spectators. Queen Clarion arrives to welcome the spectators and wish good luck to the competitors. Once the opening ceremonies are over, the first game begins. The games go on for three days, with one event on the first day, four events on the second day, and one event on the last day. The races are: Leapfrogging, Dragonfly
Water Skiing, Mouse Polo, Twig Spears, Teacup Challenge and Derby Cart Race.
- Four Seasons Festival: The fairies make shows with their talents to represent each season of Pixie Hollow. This is the only event that Winter fairies attends on the warm side of Pixie Hollow.
Is several acampaments that fairies lives temporarily through the Mainland in order to fullfil their duty to watch over nature and the seasons. Their acampaments is never abandoned, and there's always fairies coming and lefting. Tinker Bell describes one of it as "Every Pixie Hollow on a single tree."
The Seasonal Ministers
The Seasonal Ministers are in charge of watching over their domain in Pixie Hollow and overseeing the fairies working under their eye. They are the Minister of Spring, the Minister of Summer, the Minister of Autumn and the Minister of Winter. Despite their status, they are under the govern of Queen Clarion or Lord Milori and treats them with respect and loyalty.
Fairies and Humans can never meet each other, as their contact is forbidden. When a human comes by, fairies hide, never approach or even mentions them.