Ono is the tetartagonist of the Disney Junior series The Lion Guard. He is a small egret and one of Kion's friends and a former member of the Lion Guard. His position on the team was the Keenest of Sight.
When Ono becomes vision-impaired after rescuing Bunga from falling to his demise, he gives his position to Anga who later joins the Lion Guard while he becomes the (first ever) Smartest of the Pride Lands since the episode "Battle for the Pride Lands".
Ono is described as an intellectual and brainy egret. He never hesitates to take to the air and seek out animals in help, and will sometimes act even before Kion asks him to. Ono is loyal to Kion and rarely questions his leader. Despite his sharp social skills and optimism, Ono is exceptionally blunt and able to lay out his feelings without any sugar-coating. He is by far the most down-to-earth member of the Lion Guard, always thinking things through before jumping in. Perhaps this is in part because of his keen eye and ability to step back and assess before taking action. His intellect is sharp, and he has the cleverness and patience to act on it. Ono is brave and has a knack for following the rules. His principles are clear in his willingness to fight with his full heart for the Circle of Life, and he is a valued member of the Lion Guard for his intelligence and ability to see things from afar.
Ono is quite well-informed in regards to the animals of the Serengeti, and he often states facts out loud for the benefit of his friends. He is very respectful to royalty and is noted to be punctual. Ono isn't afraid to show his annoyance to other animals and is also very reserved. Ono's value to the Lion Guard doesn't get to his ego, but it does make him a workaholic, as revealed when he tries to continue flying after he's temporarily hurt his eye.
Ono is a narrowly built egret with a very skinny pair of black legs that are striped with orange, which lead to a pair of orange claws. The end of each claw also has a black spot. His upper body is compact, with pure white feathers across the main part of his body. Some pale orange and yellow feathers reach into the end of his wings and form a band around his neck.
In "Battle for the Pride Lands", as a teenager, Ono has grown taller.
- High-Level Intellect/Skilled Leader: Ono is the most intelligent member in the entire Lion Guard; as he was able to find ways to make Bunga smell good, knew that Kion was wrong about being unable to move the bees to another location, and many about other animals abilities or behaviors. Although he is proven to not have enough intelligence for good strategy compare to Kion. Ono was also able to help out the Lion Guard, when Kion was (temporarily) was separated to guide them out of a forest when they were lost, but unlike Kion; he doesn't know much of the geography of the Pride Lands.
- Eidetic Memory: Ono has a photographic memory; as he can memorize important information like specific details of paintings on cave walls with incredible accuracy, which came in handy when finding the Moja Kwa Moja Stones
- Skilled Combatant: As a member of the Lion Guard, Ono is a capable combatant; as he was able to defeat Mzingo easily by doing a quick dive attack. He even pecked Mwoga on the head repeatedly to keep him away from Fuli.
- Flight: As an egret, Ono is able to fly at very high altitudes.
- Animal Speed: Ono is the fourth fastest member in the entire Lion Guard; due to him being a flyer. Ono is surpassed only by Fuli, Kion, Makucha, and Anga respectively in terms of physical speed.
- Animal Eyesight: Ono has the second best eyesight in the entire Lion Guard; as he is able to see at far distances. In "Too Many Termites", he can see through the smallest crack.
- Animal Stamina: As an egret, Ono has the third highest stamina in the entire Lion Guard; as proven by Ono who was doing his very best to stay on top of Fuli in the races, as he was using full speed for such a young bird he did many times in the races, but he was proven to be quite exhausted.
- Animal Agility: Ono has amazing agility, as he is able to make quick turns.
- Ono Spin: Ono originally wanted to learn this special skill of from his biggest hero of the all birds, named Hadithi who made up this skill to make others impression of other animals. Though he wanted to learn this skill more correctly but turns out he made this skill correctly against Janja and his clan.
- Blindness: As of "Battle for the Pride Lands", Ono has become (partially) blind after his eyes were exposed to volcanic vog; as a result his vision has become extremely blur, as Ono is no longer the keenest of sight in the entire Lion Guard, as that position was given to Anga; as a result of him (partially) losing his eyesight. Though his vision was restored, it would never be as keen as it originally was.
- Limited Altitude: Ono's species (egrets) are not adapted to flying higher than the clouds; unlike vultures and eagles respectively.
Role in the series
Ono sees Kion and Bunga as the pair approach him in the Pride Lands whilst playing a game of Baobab Ball. Ono quickly alerts his flock, and they take to the air, scattering as Kion and Bunga dash through.
Later, when Kion is assembling the new Lion Guard, he chooses Ono for his keen sight after Bunga stops him from hunting down a snail. Ono joins his friends as Kion asks for them to all join the new Lion Guard. Fuli, however, questions Kion's position as the fiercest member, and Ono explains that it's somewhat common knowledge that lions are fierce.
Bunga convinces Kion to show the others the Roar of the Elders and Ono remarks that seeing is believing, though adds that with a roar, it concerns hearing more. The group assembles behind Kion per his instructions, and as the others scramble for a place, Ono smirks and mutters "groundlings". Kion's roar, however, comes out as a squeak, and all Ono can say for it is that is was different. Suddenly, Simba then arrives and sees that his son has not chosen a group of lions for the Guard, and he scolds Kion for treating the mission as a game. Kion leaves to do some soul searching.
Meanwhile, Ono waits with the rest of the 'Guard', watching the hyena attack unfold, commenting on how deviously clever Mzingo's extra help is. After Bunga retrieves Kion tells them that he doesn't care if they're not all lions and that he knows that are the Pride Lands' most talented. Ono is less certain than the others but accepts. Kion then places his paw on each of his friend's shoulders, to give them the Mark of the Guard. Ono stretches his wing out to admire his after he receives it. Together, the group rushes into action. The Guard quietly make their way down to the gazelles' grazing grounds, before launching a surprise attack with Kion at the front of the group. With Ono taking care of Mzingo by knocking him into a bush, the rest of the group focus on the hyenas. The hyenas soon start to make a desperate retreat. Simba, Nala, Tiifu and Rafiki arrive just in time to see the new Lion Guard chase the hyenas away.
Although they assume that their work is done, it turns out that Kion's sister Kiara is still in danger, as the panicked gazelles are stampeding towards her. Bunga has an idea and asks Fuli to get him close. Ono then scouts ahead, flying over the herd. He spots Kiara and reports that she's behind a rock. Bunga successfully saves Kiara, and Ono flies back to Kion and Beshte to report the good news.
After Ono confirms to everyone that Kiara is finally safe, the Lion Guard approach Janja's Clan of hyenas. Janja steps forward and taunts Kion, but the lion cub successfully uses the Roar of the Elders on the clan, which Ono is amazed to finally hear. The defeated hyenas scramble back to the Outlands, with Janja promising that it isn't over. After witnessing the whole event, Simba is happy to accept the new Lion Guard, acknowledging that it is now their time, while the Lion Guard stare proudly over a rock.
Ono has appeared in every single episode after the events of the pilot episode. Like all the other animal members Kion recruited to be part of his Lion Guard, Ono continues being the Keenest of Sight member of the Guard until the Season 3 "Battle for the Pride Lands". Due to his poor vision after surviving the battle, Ono gains his new position: the Smartest, still a member of the Guard with the Keenest of Sight position passed on to the martial eagle Anga who later becomes a member of the Guard until the series finale.
in "Return to the Pride Lands" that Kion's Guard finds out that they have been replaced by a new group led by Vitani. The two groups have a battle to see which team is better. During competition, Ono serves as the judge and tells each member what their task is to which the competition is tied after four tough events, followed by a Mashindano between Kion and Vitani. After Kion masters the roar, the rest of Kion's Guard give up their role as and becomes members of the Night Pride. Back at the Tree of Life, Kion has his coronation and Ono cheers for his friend as he becomes king.
Ono and Bunga serve as the main characters in this short series of The Lion Guard. Each episode uses a format where two different animals species are selected by said characters to compete for the titles of characteristics (for example: which animal is the fastest, which animal has more hair, which animal eats more, etc.), to which Bunga always picks a winner.
- His specific species is cattle egret (Bubulculus ibis), which is one of the birds with the largest year-round range.
- Ono's most common catchphrase "Hapana!" means "Oh no!" in Swahili.
- Ono is the only member of Guard who has never sung a solo song.
- His primary form of attack is pecking.
- It is revealed that Ono has chiroptophobia, which is the fear of bats.
- In the beginning of season three, Ono's keen eyesight becomes impaired from exposure to volcanic ash and heat.
- It is revealed in a flashback in the episode "The Lake of Reflection" that Kion, Bunga, Beshte, and Fuli saved Ono from Janja and his clan shortly before he hatched from his egg while Anga observes from the air, which reveals that he is the youngest member of Kion's Lion Guard.
- Despite being the youngest member, ironically, Ono is voiced by the oldest member of the main cast. In fact, of all the male members, he is the only member whose voice actor was not born in the 21st century.