The episode starts with Miss Finster initiating "Operation Field Trip." Before leaving for MISOOE (Museum of Industry, Science, Oceanography, Oddities, and Energy) Bertha is upset about her beloved bus Old Smokey being reduced to recycled metal after this field trip.
As the students leave for MISOOE, Miss Grotke leads them in singing "This Old Man" ad nauseam until Old Smokey breaks down, leaving those inside stranded by an abandoned farm.
While Bertha is moping about her situation, and Miss Grotke is trying to calm her down, the kids decide to make Bertha happy by fixing her bus (and then some).
- Menlo is voiced by Ryan O'Donohue in this episode instead of Blake Ewing.
- Sam, Dave and Menlo are all in the same class bus as T.J. and the gang, however, they're not in their class.
- "Take'm to MISOOE" is a refrence to the 1948 western film, Red River.
- In the conversation between Bertha and Grotke in the beginning of the episode. "They are retiring old Smokey!" "The Bear?" "No, The Bus." 'The bear' refers to Smokey Bear, an NPO that spreads awareness about wildfires.
- "Well it may be too late to get to MISOOE but what do say we take the long way home?" is a possible reference to the 1979 hit single "Take the Long Way Home" by English rock band Supertramp.