Penny is the show's 14 (later 16) year-old female protagonist who is usually embarrassed by the way her father, Oscar Proud, acts. She is a normal teenager who is trying to have the life that she dreams for, despite her parents forbidding her to go on dates with boys.
Talents and Abilities
She is a very talented singer, as shown when she becomes a solo singer for Wizard Kelly Productions, but quits after missing her old life. Penny's also a straight-A student. She's on the football team and the newspaper staff. Penny tried out for cheerleading, but due to having an accident, LaCienega got the final spot on the cheerleading squad. Penny is also good at reciting poetry and becomes jealous when Dijonay becomes just as good as her.
Penny has black hair that matches her eye color. She wears a white shirt with a magenta-red cardigan, a burgundy skirt, and also has white socks and burgundy shoes. Her skin color is more brown since season 2.
Penny enjoys hanging out with her friends, even though they have gotten her into trouble and left her to face danger by herself many times. She sometimes listens to and always respects her parents, but often caves into peer pressure. She is also somewhat of a feminist at times and is very logical. Penny hangs out with Dijonay, Zoey, and Sticky. However, their friendship with her is questionable at times as they all have a habit of ditching Penny when she is in a difficult situation. Penny's arch-nemesis is LaCienega Boulevardez, her cousin and rich next-door neighbor. While they don't get along, their parents are best friends. However they later become friends and outgrow their rivarly.
In The Proud Family Movie, Penny turns 16 and she begins to want independence, but her father has issues letting her go. She saves the world, makes up with him, gains some independence, and learns to appreciate her family more.
Penny makes a cameo appearance in the show and is seen after the events of the episode "Graduation", where Kim and Ron's friends and classmates wave goodbye as they travel away in a flying car. At the very end of the background, Penny also waves at them as a result of Kim being her hero.
Penny makes a cameo appearance in Fillmore! as one of the students of the main protagonist's school.
In American Dragon, Penny Proud was mentioned by Jake Long as one of his close childhood friends.
Penny hangs out with Dijonay, Zoey, LaCienega, and Sticky. However, their so-called "friendship" with Penny is questionable at times as they all have a habit of ditching Penny whenever she is in a difficult situation, taking advantage of her, and even backstabbing her many times.
- Oscar Proud - Penny's father. They do seem to have a loving relationship as she does seem to look up to him (most of the time anyway) and Oscar is very protective of his "baby girl". Their relationship does get more complicated in the movie but it does go back to its old ways by the end.
- Trudy Proud - Penny's mother. The two do have a loving and respectful relationship. She is the parent Penny will often go to for advice and understanding. Penny is often polite to her mother and Trudy is often very understanding of her feelings and is willing to give her good advice that will often help her.
- Suga Mama - Penny's grandmother. The two have a very loving relationship. Suga is very sweet and loving towards her "Grand Baby" and Penny is always there for Suga at any time.
- BeBe & CeCe Proud - Penny's brother and sister. Penny is often irritated by their behavior or the fact that she often has to babysit for them. Despite that, there is no doubt that she loves them and still looks out for their well-being.
- Bobby Proud - Penny's paternal uncle. The two have a kind and loving relationship. Penny is always smiling and affectionate when he comes to visit. Bobby has also helped her greatly with her musical career as "Penne", serving as both her manager and back up. During this time, Bobby was the one person Penny never stabbed in the back. When Penny had to give a speech after she won an award, she gave the biggest shout out to Bobby saying he was like a father to her.
- Over the course of the series, Penny's skin color was darkened since Season 2 (though its still clearly an African-american skin color).
- She is friends with the peanut people in the movie.
- She is the most mature of the group.
- She was a solo artist who had her own smash single until she gave it up for her friends.
- She was shown kissing only two boys.
- Penny, Oscar, Trudy, Suga Mama, and Dijonay are the only characters to be in all the episodes.
- Throughout the series, LaCienega and Nubia constantly make fun of Penny's large forehead, even though their foreheads are larger.
- In the opening sequence, despite having curly hair, Penny's hair is straight when she got wet, indicating that her hair is relaxed. However, her hair wears down instead of staying tied in pigtails. This is seen in some episodes.