|| "Even miracles take a little time."
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
Raya and the Last Dragon is an upcoming American animated film produced at Walt Disney Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is scheduled to be released on March 5, 2021 and will be the 59th animated feature in the Disney Animated Canon.
Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans and dragons lived together in harmony. But when an evil force threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity. Now, 500 years later, that same evil has returned and it's up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the legendary last dragon to restore the fractured land and its divided people. However, along her journey, she'll learn that it'll take more than a dragon to save the world—it's going to take trust and teamwork as well.
- Kelly Marie Tran as Raya
- Awkwafina as Sisu
- Gemma Chan as Namaari
- Izaac Wang as Boun
- Thalia Tran as Noi
- Benedict Wong as Tong
- Alan Tudyk as Tuk Tuk
- Daniel Dae Kim as Chief Benja
- Sandra Oh as Virana
- Lucille Soong as Dang Hu
- Patti Harrison as Chief of Tail
- Ross Butler as Chief of Spine
Raya and the Last Dragon's development goes back to 2017, when Disney shelved Gigantic, a re-telling of Jack and the Beanstalk that would've taken place in 15th century Spain and focused on the young hero befriending an 11-year-old giantess. The then-untitled animation project had a November 25, 2020 release date announced when Disney revealed its theatrical release plans through 2022.
Raya and the Last Dragon was originally scheduled to be released on November 25, 2020, but due to the 2019–2020 coronavirus pandemic, it was pushed back to March 12, 2021. This was later advanced one week to March 5, 2021, with a simultaneous release on the streaming service Disney+, via paid purchase through its "Premiere Access" service. The film will be made available to all subscribers of Disney+ regardless of a separate purchase on June 4, 2021.
Raya and the Last Dragon has received critical acclaim. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film currently has a Certified Fresh of 96% of critic reviews. On Metacritic the film has received a rating of 76%. On IGN, the film has a rating of 8/10.
- Raya and The Last Dragon will be Walt Disney Animation Studios' first original animated film since 2016's Moana.
- "Raya and the Last Dragon: New Walt Disney Animation Studios Movie Announced at D23". IGN. Retrieved on August 24, 2019.
- "Get a first look at Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon starring Kelly Marie Tran". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on August 27, 2020.
- Derks, David (December 11, 2020). "Disney Animation’s Raya and the Last Dragon Poised to Upend Theater Industry". MiceChat. Retrieved on December 12, 2020.
- "Disney announces Raya and the Last Dragon as next animated film". polygon. Retrieved on August 24, 2019.
- "Watch Awkwafina's Sisu in action in new Raya and the Last Dragon trailer". EW. Retrieved on January 26, 2021.
- "Gemma Chan and Sandra Oh Join 'Raya and the Last Dragon' in New Trailer". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on January 26, 2021.
- "Disney Moves Soul, Raya and the Last Dragon Release Dates". TheWrap. Retrieved on April 15, 2020.
- Keane, Sean (February 5, 2021). "Raya and the Last Dragon to come out from behind Disney Plus paywall June 4". CNET. Retrieved on February 6, 2021.