- “Name's Reflux. Medical condition or super power, you decide.”
- ―Reflux introducing himself
Reflux is a senior who has the unsettling super power of heaving hot lava, which helps him break into some of the most secure locales. As an old man, he gets tired easily and has motion sickness problems, which can be fatal for someone who can barf hot lava. When Reflux is on the offensive, he is the most offensive hero around.
Making Reflux appealing was a huge challenge until artists turned to frogs for inspiration. According to art director Matt Notle, the idea of a frog made the character appealing and funny, even though his super power seems repulsive at first.
Role in the film
Reflux was brought in to Winston Deavor's superhero recruitment program with other Supers where he meets the veteran superhero Elastigirl. When he talks with her, Reflux makes a joke about the repugnant nature of his superpower. However, Reflux becomes a victim of Evelyn Deavor's mind control when Hypno-goggles were placed over his eyes, and he was ordered along with the other mind-controlled supers to capture Frozone and the younger members of the Parr family, although they only succeed in capturing Frozone.
Still under Evelyn's control, Reflux attends the superhero conference onboard Winston's cruise ship as Evelyn's security force. After some of the heroes are freed from the Hypno-goggles, Reflux uses his powers in the battle against the Incredibles, at one point significantly hindering Violet's force field with his corrosive regurgitation, before he meets his match against Frozone. Their elemental powers initially clash until Frozone overpowers Reflux into submission and have the Hypno-goggles removed, freeing Reflux from the mind control. Reflux then helps get the rest of the guests to safety. After the crisis is averted, Reflux is last seen celebrating the Supers' return to the public.
In the Lego game, Reflux helps Elastigirl with her hunt and battle with the puppet Screenslaver.
- Although this character heaves hot lava, his name was originally "GERD" because that is the technical term for acid reflux. His name was later changed to Reflux since GERD was a little too "on the nose".
- The IncrediFiles guidebook gives his name as Gurdley Mola.
- "Stitch Kingdom post 1". Twitter. Retrieved on June 6, 2018.
- "Meet the "Wannabe" Supers from Incredibles 2 - Voyd, Brick, Reflux, Krushauer, Screech & He-lectrix". Pixar Post. Retrieved on April 16, 2018.