- “In my book experience outranks everything.”
Commander Rex (birth number CT-7567) is a former clone trooper commander of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) who fought alongside Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and his then-apprentice Ahsoka Tano (until she left the Jedi Order after being framed for bombing the Coruscant Jedi Temple and murdering Letta Turmond by Barriss Offee, the real saboteur).
At the end of the war, Rex, Bo-Katan, and Ahsoka, who had unofficially rejoined the order, led part of the 501st in the Siege of Mandalore, intent on capturing the renegade Darth Maul. They succeeded in capturing Maul, but on the way back to Coruscant Palpatine issued Order 66, activating the clones' inhibitor chips that compelled them to follow all orders. While the rest of the clones, including Jesse, immediately tried to kill Ahsoka, Rex resisted his programming and told Ahsoka to "find Fives", who had died while trying to warn him about the conspiracy against the Jedi. Rex then began shooting at Ahsoka against his will, but she escaped. After being forced to free Maul to use him as a distraction, Ahsoka successfully removed Rex's chip, freeing him from its violent programming, although this also turned the rest of the clones against Rex. After he, Maul, and Ahsoka escaped the Star Destroyer, all three of them faked their deaths. Rex went into exile on Seelos with fellow clones Gregor and Wolffe, who had also had their inhibitor chips removed.
Rex is later recruited by the crew of the Ghost to join the Rebellion, and eventually fought in the climactic Battle of Endor.
Rex is a gruff, aggressive, and fearless captain among the clone troopers. Aside from his strength, he is an excellent tactician and capable of cunning maneuvers around his enemies, despite Rex's serious demeanor, he has a good sense of humor, as well as a strong sense of loyalty, honor, and good morals. He also cares about his fellow soldiers and clones, considering them his brothers.
- Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Despite Rex's old age; as a former clone commander, he is an extremely skilled hand-to-hand combatant.
- Expert Marksman: Despite Rex's old age; as a former clone commander, he is extremely skilled in utilizing blaster pistols and blaster rifles.
- High-Level Intellect/Expert Tactician/Leader: Rex is highly intelligent. As a former clone commander, Rex is an extremely skilled tactician and a capable leader.
- High Tolerance for Pain/Indomitable Will: As a former clone commander, Rex has been trained to resist interrogation as a prisoner of war. Initially, he was vulnerable to Force Mind trick (mind control) powers, although, throughout the Clone Wars, Rex's willpower increases to the point where he is completely resistant to all forms of mind control powers.
Weapons and Equipment
- Phase II Clone Trooper armor: Rex utilizes Phase II Clone Trooper armor to protect himself from his enemies in battle.
- DC-15A blaster rifle: Rex utilized a DC-15A blaster rifle as his weapon of choice.
Former Weapons and Equipment
- Phase I Clone Trooper armor: Rex utilized Phase I Clone Trooper armor to protect himself from his enemies in battle.
- First DC-17 hand blaster: Rex utilized a DC-17 hand blaster pistol as his main weapon of choice.
- Second DC-17 hand blaster: Rex utilized a DC-17 hand blaster pistol as his second weapon of choice.
- DC-15A blaster: Rex utilized a DC-15A blaster as his third weapon of choice.
Rex is the most prominent clone trooper in the series. He is good friends with Anakin Skywalker, Cody, and Ahsoka Tano. He was the only one besides Anakin who saw right away that Ahsoka was being framed and was devastated when she refused to rejoin the Jedi Order. He was also devastated when ARC trooper Fives died, as they had known each other since fighting together to save the Rishi outpost. He is tough and loyal, evidenced when Asajj Ventress interrogated him and he refused to talk.
At the end of the war, Ahsoka contacted the Republic in hopes of having them assist her in retaking Mandalore from Darth Maul's puppet leadership. However, Chancellor Palpatine publicly revealed himself as a Sith Lord and issued Order 66, which caused the clones (including Rex) to turn on their Jedi generals, including Ahsoka. Rex had already learned about the clones' inhibitor chips, which the Kaminoans claimed were to curb the clones' aggression but were actually intended to compel them to obey Order 66, from Fives, but did not know their true purpose. Resisting his programming after receiving the order, Rex told Ahsoka to "find Fives" before opening fire. Ahsoka then learned about the chips and managed to capture Rex and have his chip removed, freeing him from its mind control but also causing the other clones to now want to kill Rex for treason. In the confusion, Maul attempted to escape, and Ahsoka was forced to choose between killing Maul and saving Rex. She chose the latter, and after faking their own deaths and crashing their Star Destroyer into a moon, Ahsoka and Rex parted ways, with Rex going into retirement.
Rex appears in the second season of Star Wars Rebels where he is the leader of a trio of Clone Wars survivors - he and clone officers Wolffe and Gregor, living on an old AT-TE in the Seelos system. Rex and his brothers are surprised by the arrival of the Jedi Kanan Jarrus, and quickly, Wolffe and Gregor open fire. Kanan, however, deflects them back, but Ezra Bridger, Kanan's apprentice, stops the fighting.
As the rebels and clones bond, Kanan still has sour feelings for the troopers, but Ezra looks up to Rex. As Rex puts together a list of locations for possible rebel bases, Garazeb Orrelios, Sabine Wren, Ezra, and Kanan help Gregor and Wolffe hunt for a giant worm. However, unbeknownst to the rebels and Rex and Gregor, Wolffe contacts the Empire and gives them the rebels' location. An Imperial probe droid zones in on them, and gives their location to the Imperial command.
Rex and Kanan then confront Wolffe about his betrayal, and he replies that he simply wanted to protect his brothers. He then joins the rebels and clones as they battle the probe droid and wait for the arrival of the Imperial war machine. When Imperial Agent Kallus arrives with three Imperial AT-AT walkers, despite losing one to a sandstorm, Kallus has the other two, including the one he's piloting, engage Rex and the other clones as they buy time for the Lothal rebels to escape. However, the clones' AT-TE is no match for its Imperial descendants, and just as Kallus is about to finish them off, Kanan and Ezra return to commandeer the second AT-AT with Zeb, turning it on Kallus' until Rex delivers the killing blow with the main cannon of the AT-TE to the lightly-armored neck of the AT-AT, its weak spot. Kallus and his pilots escape, and the clones join the rebels, allowing Rex to reunite with Ahsoka, calling her "Commander" as he did during the Clone Wars.
Some time later, Rex joins Ezra and Zeb to collect proton bombs from a wrecked Separatist ship, only to find a collection of battle droids still operational under the command of Super Tactical Droid Kalani from the Onderon occupation during the Clone Wars. Kalani had prevented his droids from being deactivated when Darth Sidious and Darth Vader sent out the call for the Separatist Droid Army to shut down following Vader executing Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray and the other Separatist leaders, ending the Clone Wars, as Kalani wanted to end it on his terms. However, when the Empire arrives to the area, Ezra convinces Rex and Kalani to put aside their differences and focus on escaping from the Empire, whom Ezra logically tells Kalani are the real tyranny that the Separatists had been fighting against since the Empire was originally the Republic. As they prepare to flee, Rex calls it "the last day in the Grand Army of the Republic" as he prepares for battle. Once they escape the Empire, Kalani and his surviving droids part ways with the rebels, but not without agreeing with Rex that, thanks to Ezra, they could finally consider the Clone Wars officially over and make peace with each other.
Rex was with some of the other rebels when he receives Senator Mon Mothma's call to unite into a single Rebel Alliance to face the Empire together. However, they are soon forced to abandon Chopper Base on Atollon when their location is compromised by Grand Admiral Thrawn knowing where they were and taking Agent Kallus, who was now a Rebel spy, prisoner. Both Phoenix Squadron and General Dodonna's combined fleets are no match for Thrawn and the Imperial fleet from Lothal, blocking their escape with two gravity well generator-equipped Interdictors, and tearing the combined Rebel fleet apart, forcing the remaining survivors to return to Atollon, where they are soon surrounded by Thrawn and his troops. However, before Thrawn can execute them, he is interrupted by an unnatural storm created by the Bendu, who demands all Rebel and Imperial forces to leave his planet at once or face annihilation by him. The distraction allows Rex, Hera, and the surviving Rebels to flee, while a Mandalorian strike team led by Ezra and Sabine take out the remaining Interdictor after Commander Sato sacrificed himself and the Phoenix Home to take out the first one. Having escaped Thrawn and his forces, the surviving Rebels make haste retreating to Rebel Headquaters on Yavin IV.
- Rex is actually 31 years old, though his biological state is likely closer to at least sixty years, due to the accelerated aging that was genetically installed in all Clone Troopers.
- In the episode "Warhead" the story was going to be focused on Rex and Zeb, but Rex was changed for Chopper.
- He shares the same name and title with the Star Tours droid RX-24.
- Rex later joined in the Battle of Endor, as part of Han Solo's Strike Team. Older Expanded Universe Material listed this Character as Nik Sant, but the "Animated" Galaxy Of Adventures Short; "Han Solo - From Smuggler to General" retcons Nik Sant into Rex.