For generations, the second born child of the Lion King has always been the leader of the Lion Guard; a team of animals whose duty is to protect the Pride Lands and the Circle of Life. Another reason why the second-born child of the Lion King is the leader of the Lion Guard is because they possess the Roar of the Elders; an intensely powerful roar that is bestowed on them by the Great Lions of the Past.
The first lion to be bestowed the power of the Roar was Askari, the second born son of one of the previous Lion Kings.
Generations later, Askari's descendant, Scar was leader of the Lion Guard and was blessed with the power of the Roar, however, after Scar after got bitten by a cobra, the venom in his body started to corrupt him, making him more prone to anger and irrational impulses as he let the power go to his head to the point where he believed he was worthier of being king than his older brother, Mufasa. He tried to get his Lion Guard to help him overthrow Mufasa and take the throne. When the rest of the Lion Guard refused, Scar destroyed them using the Roar. However, because he used the Roar for evil, Scar lost it and the abilities it gave him forever, resulting in him becoming weakened and even more determined to kill Mufasa and become king himself.
When Mufasa became king, he only had one child named Simba. Because of this, many Pride Landers believed that the Roar and the Lion Guard were gone forever. However, after overthrowing his uncle and becoming king, Simba had two children: Kiara and Kion. Being the second-born, Kion inherited the Roar and assembled the new Lion Guard, but vowed not to use it for evil as his great-uncle did.
During his final battle against the ghost of Scar, Kion is bitten and poisoned by Ushari. The venom inside Kion caused him to constantly lose control of the Roar, leading the Lion Guard to go on a journey to the Tree of Life. Once healed, Kion realized the Roar doesn't determine his identity and is willing to let it go. This willingness made Kion qualified to learn how to master the Roar completely. Under Askari's spirit's guidance, Kion trained his Roar and it became far more powerful than before, allowing him to swiftly defeat Makucha's army and help him and his friends in taking a shorter route to the Pride Lands.
When Kion and his friends are back to the Pride Lands, conflict arise between them and Vitani and her team over who should be the Lion Guard. The two teams decided to settle it through a competition. However, in the final round between Kion and Vitani, Kion decides to relinquish his role to Vitani after she proved herself worthy by bravely challenging him without needing the Roar. Kion bestowed Vitani with the Roar, allowing her to use it. Askari then appeared and stated that Kion had truly mastered the Roar. Kion demonstrated his mastery of the Roar by using it to lift Pride Rock. He then decided to use the Roar to protect the Tree of Life together with his friends, becoming its protector and King, and finally returning the Roar to its true home and proper place in the Circle of Life.
List of Known Powers and Abilities
- Sonic Roar: When the leader of the Lion Guard uses the Roar of the Elders, deceased lions roar along with him/her, instilling real power in their Roar. With this roar, he/she has flattened plains, held floods back and torn down rock-slides. The Roar is so powerful that it can actually kill the user's opponents if they willed it, such as when Scar used it to destroy his own Lion Guard when they refused to help him overthrow Mufasa.
- Mark of the Guard: Whoever the leader of the Lion Guard chooses to become part of his/her team, he/she marks them with a roaring lion head, symbolizing their positions as members of the Lion Guard, when the leader of the Lion Guard inherits the Roar of the Elders; a lion head automatically appears on his/her left shoulder. The leader can also bestow their own tittle as the Fiercest and the Roar of the Elders to another lion to be their successor, this also cause all the other marks on the Predecessor's Lion Guard to disappear and normally cause the original leader to loose the Roar. However since Kion mastered the Roar he was able to keep it.
- Precision: In "Never Roar Again", it is revealed that the Roar can be used to hit precise targets. For example, when Makuu and his float took Nala hostage, she encouraged Kion to use the Roar. When he did, instead of using the Roar on everything, he controlled it to only take out the crocodiles holding Nala before turning on Makuu and the rest of the float.
- Soul/Spiritual Summoning: The Roar can also be used to summon the lion spirits of the past like Mufasa. However, when used out of anger, the Roar is capable of summoning the evil lion spirits from their afterlife, though the effect won't work unless a bakora staff is engulfed in a fire and roared upon by the user. In "The Rise of Scar", Kion was tricked into summoning Scar over a volcano when he uses the Roar raging against Janja threatening of his family. After evil spirits are summoned, they are capable of acting on their own accord, not needing to be called on by the user.
- Atmokinesis: The Roar is also capable of manipulating the weather to the user's wishes.
- Hyetokinesiss: In "Lions of the Outlands", when Zira told Kion to use his roar on a cloud, it produced a rain cloud over Jasiri's watering hole. He uses this same feature again "Swept Away", "Battle for the Pride Lands", and "Journey to the Pride Lands". However, these rains only last for a short while. While the Roar can produce rain when the user roars at clouds, the rains are very brief, but can be powerful enough to create floods. In, “Battle for the Pride Lands”, instead of roaring, Kion blows into the air. The great lions of the past appear doing the same, this allows Kion to call massive amount’s of rain.
- Aerokinesis: In "Triumph of the Roar", it is revealed that the Roar can create a whirlwind attacks like producing tiny twisters to pick up objects.to lift objects from the ground. Kion used this ability to help carry Beshte and Bunga in order to defeat Makucha's army's biggest assault. In the next episode, he uses it to transport Bunga, Beshte, Jasiri, Janja, and himself across a dried ravine.
- Electrogenesis: In "Triumph of the Roar", Kion uses the Roar to summon a bolt of lightning to free Makini and the Night Pride from inside the Tree of Life after Beshte failed to push a large boulder aside himself. Near the end of "Journey to the Pride Lands", lightning creates a hole in a huge stone dam not far from the Pride Lands.
- Geokinesis: In addition to causing earthquakes, the Roar can create pillars and rifts in the earth. Kion was also able to lift Pride Rock with no difficulty. If blasted on a volcano, it will cause an eruption that will cause mass destruction in the process.
- Evil Deeds: If the leader of the Lion Guard ever uses the Roar of the Elders for evil, he/she will lose this power permanently.
- Rage: If the leader of the Lion Guard ever uses the Roar of the Elders in anger, he/she will temporarily lose control of the Roar and he/she could unintentionally hurt or even kill someone, as well as accidentally summon evil lion spirits.
- Accidental Natural Disasters: If the Roar is used in anger or not it can cause natural disasters by accident, like volcanic eruptions or earthquakes. In "The Accidental Avalanche", Kion accidentally started an avalanche while using the Roar on a mountain.
- Duration: The Roar of the Elders can't last long when used prolong, which could exhaust the user as seen in "Journey to the Pride Lands" when Kion tried to hold water in place for how long using the Roar.
- The first mention of this ability was in the book Hear Me Roar!.
- According to the Disney Life app, the Roar can be heard up to five miles away. (That is the same distance as a regular roar by a fully grown lion.)
- When Kion uses the Roar, he always tells everyone to get behind him as to avoid hurting them.
- When Kion first used the Roar in anger the first time the clouds where white. However, every time after the clouds became darker.
- "David Oyelowo to Voice 'Scar in Disney Jr's Animated Series THE LION GUARD". BroadWayWorld.com (June 23, 2017).