Rose Tico is a major character from Lucasfilm's 2017 Star Wars film The Last Jedi, and she returns in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker as a minor character. She is a young maintenance worker who serves the Resistance and finds herself as Finn's ally in the midst of the conflict following the passing of her sister, Paige.
After the Resistance escapes from the First Order while evacuating from D'Qar, Rose is first seen mourning for her older sister, Paige, who had sacrificed her life to destroy the Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought Fulminatrix so the Resistance can flee. Rose guards the escape pods where she meets Finn, a Resistance hero she greatly admires, attempting to flee in one of the pods. After Rose stops him by stunning him with an electro-shock prod, Finn tells her the First Order had found a way to track the MC85 Star Cruiser Raddus through hyperspace. The two formulate a plan to disable the tracking device on the First Order's flagship, the Mega-class Star Dreadnought Supremacy, which will allow the Raddus to escape. With help from Resistance droid BB-8, Rose and Finn set off on an unauthorized mission to the casino city of Canto Bight to find a master codebreaker to assist them.
Although Finn is impressed by the superficial beauty and debauchery of Canto Bight, Rose reveals to him the dark underpinnings of the lavish casino city, pointing out the fortunes of the city's rich inhabitants is supported by child slavery, weapons dealing, and other immoral activities that result in the suffering of others. Rose and Finn are arrested for their illegal entry into Canto Bight, and in prison they meet DJ, a code breaker who along with BB-8 helps them escape and agrees to assist them in disabling the Supremacy's tracking device. The four escape Canto Bight with the help of some of the enslaved children there; Rose gives one of them Paige's Rebel Alliance ring to inspire his trust. Rose and the others return to the Supremacy and infiltrate the ship disguised as First Order officers, but are captured by General Hux and Captain Phasma before they can disable the tracking device. DJ betrays Rose and Finn, informing the First Order of their plan and providing information about the Resistance in exchange for his release and a monetary reward.
Phasma attempts to execute Rose and Finn, but BB-8 helps them escape and fight their way to freedom, killing Phasma in the process. Meanwhile, the surviving Resistance forces escape to an old Rebel Alliance base on the nearby planet Crait. Rose, Finn, and BB-8 board a stolen Xi-class light shuttle and fly to Crait. Along with Finn and Poe, Rose pilots a ski speeder in a defensive battle against First Order forces, during which they try to destroy a superlaser siege cannon before it can destroy the door to the base. Finn attempts a hopeless suicide attack against the cannon, but Rose saves his life by crashing her speeder into his, knocking him off course and seriously injuring herself in the process. Rose tells Finn the only way they will defeat the First Order is by fighting for what they love, rather than fighting what they hate. She kisses Finn, then falls unconscious. Finn brings Rose back to the base, and her unconscious body is taken aboard the Millennium Falcon along with the other Resistance survivors. Rose receives medical attention as they flee Crait and escape from the First Order.
During the events of Darth Sidious' return, Rose was tasked by Leia Organa with studying the specifications of Imperial-class Star Destroyers in case they had similarities with the Sith fleet. She was offered by Finn to accompany his group in searching for a Sith wayfinder, but due to her assigned task, she declined.
Rose was later present at the battle of Exegol, and was part of the assault led by Finn and Jannah. When Finn and Jannah stayed behind in an attempt to disable the transmitter of the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer Steadfast, Rose was hesitant to leave Finn, but eventually left with persuasion from Beaumont Kin and Kaydel Ko Connix. Once Sidious was defeated at the hands of Rey and the Steadfast was destroyed through the efforts of Finn and Jannah, Rose informed Poe that they did not board the lander, leading Poe to go rescue them, only for Finn and Jannah to be rescued by Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon. Once the Resistance returned to base, Rose celebrated the Final Order's defeat and gave Chewbacca a hug.
- According to The Last Jedi novelization, the baffler technology developed by Rose helps the Resistance ships in their escape.
- Because of her character, the actress Kelly Marie Tran was victim of racist comments and intense cyberbullying which led her to delete all her social media accounts.
- As a reaction to her online harassment, many fans started support campains to the actress and her character with fanart. Some of the fanarts created were later gifted to Kelly Marie Tran by the fans during a BUILD live interview for the The Rise of Skywalker.
- A lot of fans were dissappointed that her character was almost completely absent in The Rise of Skywalker. According to a writer of the movie, Rose scenes were related to Leia's subplot and as they were having difficulties with Carrie Fisher's CGI, most of these scenes were cut from the movie.
- Between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, she rose the ranks within the Resistance and eventually became a commander, and General Leia Organa chose Rose to be the leader of the Resistance's Engineering Corps.
- After the events of The Last Jedi, Rose developed a new custom proton bomb that she named "the Paiger" in honor of her late sister, Paige.