Rosalinda is the crown princess and later ruling queen of the fictional Kingdom of Costa Luna. She is the only child of Queen Sophia and the late King of Costa Luna, making her the rightful heir to the throne.
Princess Rosalinda is depicted as a responsible, mature, and caring person. She loves her people and had learned about her royal duties to be the future Queen of Costa Luna. When her kingdom is being taken over, she has to be relocated to Louisiana which makes her sad for leaving her country and her mother behind. While in Louisiana, at first she has trouble fitting in with the life outside royalty. Carter then teaches her to act like an average American teenager.
When her father died, she is ascending to the throne as the new Queen of Costa Luna. However, her country is taken over by General Kane, the dictatorial leader of neighbouring country Costa Estrella during her coronation rehearsal. She flees with the help of Major Mason, an agent of the Princess Protection Program, and relocated to Louisiana to live temporarily with Major Mason and his daughter, Carter, until it is save for her to go back to her country. She also attends the same school as Carter, posing as Carter's cousin from Iowa named Rosie Gonzalez. Though Carter initially treats Rosie with annoyance and barely-masked hostility, she warms up to her after Rosie explains her situation, and the two become close friends. Carter teaches Rosalinda to act like a normal girl and Rosie shows Carter how to disarm those that scorn them by behaving as a princess. Rosie soon becomes popular at their high school.
In an attempt to trick Rosalinda into exposing her location, General Kane announces plans to forcibly marry her mother, Queen Sophia. Rosalinda is distraught and tells Carter that she has decided to secretly return home. Knowing Costa Luna is still too dangerous, Carter secretly devises a plan to pose as Rosalinda and then use herself as bait to lure Kane into capture. Mr. Elegante, Rosalinda's royal dress designer, tells Kane that she will be attending the homecoming dance and will be wearing a blue dress that he actually sends to Carter. In the meantime, Rosalinda agrees to help Carter behave like a princess by helping a group of girls dress up for the dance. The girls all wear masks, which helps Carter disguise herself as Rosalinda.
According to plan, Kane and his agents mistake Carter for Rosie and lead her to Kane's helicopter the night of the dance. However, Rosalinda narrowly discovers and ruins the plan by exposing herself to Kane, insisting that this is not Carter's fight. Fortunately, agents of the Princess Protection Program, including Major Mason, have been waiting inside the helicopter and rescue both girls. The PPP agents quickly apprehend Kane and his henchmen and turn them over to the international authorities.
At the end of the movie, Rosalinda is crowned Queen of Costa Luna with Carter, Major Mason, Ed, Queen Sophia, and Mr. Elegante in attendance
- Princess Rosalinda is Disney's first Latin-inspired princess. She is also the second Disney's princess to be crowned queen, the first being Princess Mia from The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
- Princess Rosalinda's yellow dress bears a striking resemblance to another Disney's Princess, Belle.
- She was one of the 29 princesses rescued by the Princess Protection Program.
- She mentions that she has her own royal reptile wrangler named Henry.
- She speaks English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Japanese.
- She likes to speak to her staffs in their native tongues.
- She doesn't know the size of her shoes since hers are made exclusively for her which Carter mockingly replies, "That's a shock."
- In the extended ending, one year later, Rosalinda and Carter both became P.P.P. agents and are getting ready for their new assignment as they board a plane.