According to himself, Scarlet Spider was captured by Doctor Octopus and was subjected to many painful experiments by him. He was able to escape and forced to live in the sewers. Since then, Scarlet Spider held a personal vendetta against Dr. Octopus for what he did to him. In the episode "Force of Nature," Scarlet Spider meets Aunt May while trying to get her away from Hydro-Man's rampage. When unmasked, Scarlet Spider has a scar on his face and states that he doesn't have a name. Aunt May names him Ben. Ben is revealed to be a spy of Doctor Octopus all along, not Rhino, making him to be a seventh member of Sinister Six's succeeding team, Sinister Seven.
- Unlike most of his incarnations, who are actually clones, this Scarlet Spider is a human mutated with spider powers.
- This Scarlet Spider is modeled after the Kaine version of the character in the original comics.
- When the lower half of his mask is pulled up, it reveals he has a jawline similar to Spider-Man's.
- Like his Ultimate comic book counterpart, Scarlet Spider's existence as a spider people was created by Doctor Octopus.
- The Ben Reilly version of the Scarlet Spider was alluded to by Flash Thompson, who temporarily used the Scarlet Spider name (shortly before turning into Agent Venom).