According to himself, Scarlet Spider was captured by Doctor Octopus and was subjected to many painful experiments by him. He was able to escape and forced to live in the sewers. Since then, Scarlet Spider held a personal vendetta against Dr. Octopus for what he did to him. In the episode "Force of Nature," Scarlet Spider meets Aunt May while trying to get her away from Hydro-Man's rampage. When unmasked, Scarlet Spider has a scar on his face and states that he doesn't have a name. Aunt May names him Ben. Ben is revealed to be a spy of Doctor Octopus all along, not Rhino, making him to be a seventh member of Sinister Six's succeeding team, Sinister Seven, and reveals to Doctor Octopus Peter's true identity.
Doctor Octopus revealed that he took Scarlet Spider in and gave him his powers as he sends him to get the key to Dr. Curt Connors' latest invention from Aunt May's house. Flash Thompson in an advanced wheelchair had to work to keep Scarlet Spider from obtaining the key as Aunt May tries to reason with her. This fails even when Spider-Man arrives. Upon getting the key to Doctor Octopus, Scarlet Spider watches as Doctor Octopus uses the invention to turn HYDRA Island into Octopus Island. Upon Aunt May getting captured by Doctor Octopus, Scarlet Spider is persuaded by Aunt May to help Spider-Man. Scarlet Spider and Spider-Man fight off Doctor Octopus who gets away. Without Doctor Octopus, Octopus Island starts to fall to the ground. After shooting an escape pod with Spider-Man and Aunt May out of Octopus Island, Scarlet Spider pilots Octopus Island where it crashes into the harbor after confirming with Peter that's what Ben Parker would do, sacrifice himself for the greater good. Spider-Man, Iron Spider, and Kid Arachnid were unable to find Scarlet Spider's body.
- Unlike most of his incarnations, who are actually clones, this Scarlet Spider is a human mutated with spider powers.
- This Scarlet Spider is modeled after the Kaine version of the character in the original comics.
- When the lower half of his mask is pulled up, it reveals he has a jawline similar to Spider-Man's.
- Like his Ultimate comic book counterpart, Scarlet Spider's existence as a spider people was created by Doctor Octopus.
- The Ben Reilly version of the Scarlet Spider was alluded to by Flash Thompson, who temporarily used the Scarlet Spider name (shortly before turning into Agent Venom).