Sir Thomas Sean Connery was a Scottish actor, voice actor, and producer, who played Michael MacBride in the 1959 Disney film, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Paul in Playing by Heart, Dr. Robert Campbell in Medicine Man, and Captain John Patrick Mason in The Rock.
Connery was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on 25 August 1930. He worked as milkman before joining the Royal Navy. Connery was discharged from the navy at the age of 19 on medical grounds because of a duodenal ulcer. After working a variety of jobs, he eventually decided to become a fulltime actor.
After appearing in stage productions and small parts in films, Connery found recognition for originating the role of British secret agent James Bond from 1962 to 1971, and then reprised the role unofficially in 1983. He also found success in films like Marnie, The Hill, Murder on the Orient Express, The Man Who Would Be King, A Bridge Too Far, Meteor, Highlander, The Name of the Rose, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October, The Russia House, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Highlander II: The Quickening, Dragonheart, First Knight, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Finding Forrester, and The Untouchables where he won both the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
His stage credits included South Pacific, The Bacchae, Lilacs in the Spring, Witness for the Prosecution, Point of Departure, A Witch in Time at Kew, and Anna Christie.
He retired from film acting in 2006 although he would provide voice work for various projects before retiring completely in 2012. Living a private life in his final years, Connery suffered from dementia before passing away at his home in the Bahamas from pneumonia and heart failure. He was cremated.
- Connery was considered along with Timothy Dalton and Liam Neeson for the role of Mufasa in The Lion King, but James Earl Jones was cast at the end.
- Connery was considered along with Danny Kaye, Fred Astaire, Jim Dale, Cary Grant, Richard Burton, Alec Guinness, Richard Harris, Rex Harrison, Ron Moody, Frank Sinatra, Laurence Olivier, Peter O'Toole, Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas, James Garner, Michael Rennie, Phil Harris, Buddy Ebsen, Christopher Plummer, Peter Sellers, Richard Todd, Tommy Steele, Peter Ustinov, David Niven, Elvis Presley and Roddy McDowall for the role of Bert in Mary Poppins. But ultimately the role went to Dick Van Dyke.
- Connery was once considered to voice Cassim in Aladdin and the King of Thieves. Oddly, John Rhys-Davies, who appeared along him in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, ended up playing the part.
- With the death of Kieron Moore (Pony Sugrue) on July 15, 2007, Connery was the last surviving cast member of Darby O'Gill and the Little People.
- In 2007, Connery was initially asked to reprise his role as Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. However, he turned it down as he was satisfied with his retirement, so the character was mentioned to have passed away off-screen in the final version of the film.
- In the version of Captain America: The Winter Soldier made for audiences in the United Kingdom, Sean Connery is on Captain America's list of things he wants to catch up to.