A brilliant London-based "consulting detective", Holmes is famous for his astute logical reasoning, his ability to take on almost any disguise, and his use of forensic science skills to solve difficult cases.
Sherlock was briefly mentioned in this film by the narrator (famous Sherlock actor Basil Rathbone) as being amongst the greatest characters in British literature.
The Great Mouse Detective
In the film, Holmes appears as the "neighbor" to Basil of Baker Street. He is the world's greatest human detective (Basil being the world's greatest mouse detective). While Basil, Dawson, and Olivia Flaversham look for Toby, they observe Holmes with Watson (depicted as silhouettes against the wall). The two depart the scene to continue their own investigations, allowing Basil and the company to "borrow" Toby in the meantime.
Sherlock makes a cameo in the Disneyland version of this attraction, his distinctive silhouette being seen from a second-floor window in the town. The reasoning behind this is likely in reference to the Wind in the Willows' narrator Basil Rathbone who famously portrayed the detective.
- Sherlock Holmes' voice in The Great Mouse Detective is taken from clips of the original Sherlock Holmes films.
- Sherlock has been references, homaged and parodied in a number of Disney products.
- Basil of Baker Street was created as the Great Mouse Detective's analogue to Sherlock.
- In the Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers episode "Pound of the Baskervilles", a parody of Sherlock Holmes named Sureluck Jones was created and was the main character hero of the novels Chip read and admired.
- In the Phineas and Ferb episode "Elementary My Dear Stacy", Candace and Stacy read the entire collection of the Sherlock Holmes books and decides to use Holmes' method of deduction with Stacy's help to bust Phineas and Ferb's activity.
- A wax figure Sherlock voiced by John Oliver appeared as a villain in the episode Headhunters of Gravity Falls.
- In the British TV Series of the same name, he was played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and in the Guy Ritchie movies, he is played by Robert Downey Jr. Both of them played characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Cumberbatch played Doctor Strange and Dormammu, and Downey Jr. played Iron Man.