The Sith Order, simply known as the Sith, were an organization and order comprised of dark side Force-users in the Star Wars universe. The first Sith were once Jedi; before they turned evil and embraced their inner darkness.
The Sith Lords dedicate themselves to the dark side of the Force which is accessed through negative, uncontrolled or aggressive emotions and feelings, such as fear, pain, anger, hatred, envy, rage, greed, intense desire, despair, craving, lust, desperation, and unrestrained passions. Using any of these emotions while being a Force-user and thereby using the Force, would cause the dark side to enhance these emotions beyond the control of the individual, sometimes to the point of mental or emotional instability. It could warp the personality of the individual into a more evil one and turn them to the dark side.
The Sith members, are known by the ranks of Sith apprentice, Sith Lord and Sith Master, traditionally use the title Darth before their Sith name. The Sith are the archenemies of the Jedi and like them, their main weapon is the lightsaber, only with all of these having a red or purple kyber or synthetic crystal and blade. They only exist two at a time; a master and an apprentice, due to Darth Bane's establishment of the Rule of Two. Despite their being only Two Sith Lords at any time as a rule, the Sith maintained an army of followers known as the Sith Eternal. This cult would serve the Sith by serving as their soldiers and offer up any Force-Sensitive candidates in the event of the Apprentice Sith Lord being too weak to replace the Sith Master. Some Sith in the Rule of Two also would utilize Essence Transfer to possess their apprentices as to live on and continue their existence; this practice of possession was rendered extinct when Darth Sidious killed Darth Plagueis.
Unlike the Jedi, the the Sith are not bound to a code of ethics, morality, principles and justice; as a result, they are far more cold, cruel, brutal and ruthless than their archenemies. Despite this, some Sith like Darth Vader are known to have a sense of morals, honor, and principles.
The ultimate goal of the Sith is to conquer, and rule the galaxy. The members of the Sith, who have the rank of Sith Lord or Sith Master, are addressed as "Lord" or "Master"; before being addressed by their Sith names.
Powers and Equipment
- Power of the Force: The Sith are skilled in the ways of the Force; particularly the dark side of the Force. As a result of utilizing this power, they had access to powers many considered to be unnatural. They also had yellow eyes as a result of their immersion in the dark side, thought they could hide this so as to avoid unnecessary attention.
- Lightsabers: All Sith are armed with red-bladed lightsabers of any style and type depending on the wielder's preferences. Most Sith were accomplished duelists with varying degrees of skill and were often a match for their Jedi counterparts. Despite this, some Sith, like Sheev Palpatine, disliked these weapons, as they had felt Sith had grown beyond the need for a lightsaber in battle. As revealed in Marvel Comics Darth Vader series, Sith traditionally would create their lightsabers after killing a Jedi, stealing the Kyber crystal from their slain enemy's lightsaber and infect it with the dark side of the Force.
- Sith Holocrons: All Sith use pyramid shaped-like information-storage datacron devices that contains information, teachings, and messages; regarding the Sith Order; it can only be opened by a Sith or someone who thinks like one.
- Sith robes: Sith robes are black colored uniforms worn by the members of the Sith Order (Sith apprentice, Sith Lord, and Sith Master alike) although similar to the clothing worn by the members of the Jedi Order, Sith robes are in fact much more personalized to the wearer than it's Jedi counterparts; Sith robes are an integral part of their identity. Most Sith are most easily recognized by their distinctive garb and often used this to further intimidate or impress their opponents and allies alike.
Rule of Two
The Rule of Two is a Sith philosophy created by Darth Bane; that only two Sith Lords can rule the organization at any given time (though they could maintain an army of Sith Troopers); the Dark Lord of the Sith to embody power, and the apprentice to crave it. The Jedi misconstrued the Rule of Two as being only two Sith at any time, not realizing they had great numbers of Sith cultists in the Sith Eternal hidden throughout the galaxy to serve as their army. Bane created the Rule of Two so the Sith could operate in secret and prevent infighting, using subterfuge to plot their revenge against the Jedi. For a thousand years, the Sith would remain in hiding until the time was right to reveal themselves.
Unfortunately, this philosophy would eventually lead to the Sith Order's downfall; if Palpatine had abandoned this Sith philosophy after he had gained full control over the Galactic Republic, and brought the Jedi Order to near-extinction, as well as recruiting Force-sensitives individuals, and training them in the ways of the dark side of the Force, he would have not only increased the Sith's numbers, but also prevented the destruction of the Sith Order itself.
Code of the Sith
The Sith Code is a set of rules and teachings that governed the behavior of the Sith Order, it is the dark counterpart of the Jedi Code.
- Peace is a lie, there is only passion: Unlike the Jedi, who become attuned to the Force through inner peace, all Sith are taught to connect to the Force through passion and other intense emotions.
- Through passion, I gain strength: All Sith are taught to believe that resolve hardened by intense emotions like rage make one strong.
- Through strength, I gain power: All Sith are taught to believe that the strong are meant to rule the weak.
- Through power, I gain victory: All Sith are taught to believe that unless the victory is achieved by demonstrating that one's power is superior, it is not a true victory.
- Through victory, my chains are broken: All Sith are taught to believe in using any means to achieve their ends.
- The Force shall free me: All Sith are taught to believe that those who strove for perfection through knowledge and mastery of the Force would be rewarded.
- One Master, one apprentice: A single Sith Lord or Sith Master is forbidden to have more than one Sith apprentice at a given time.
- No Mercy: All Sith are taught to believe that showing mercy to their opponent(s), makes them weak, as they have no qualms guilt or remorse for killing or torturing, unarmed opponents, particularly their own prisoners, even if they have surrendered. Darth Vader is the only known Sith to (genuinely/secretly) have guilt, shame and remorse for terrorizing, torture, and even murdering his own enemies in cold-blood, as he did not take pleasure out of it.
- Non-Age Restriction: Sentient beings at any age are allowed to join the Sith Order as apprentices.
- Sith apprentice: Sith apprentice is a rank granted to an individual (and on occasion, a child) who have been chosen by a Sith Lord or Sith Master to be their apprentice. They are known to take on their own apprentice(s) in an effort to overthrow their mentor(s), however, after Darth Bane established the Rule of Two; there can only be one Sith apprentice, and Sith Master at any given time.
- Sith Lord: Sith Lord is a rank granted to Sith apprentices who have become considerable powerful in the dark side of the Force, and skilled in lightsaber combat, however, after Darth Bane established the Rule of Two; there can only be one Sith Lord, and Sith Master at any given time.
- Sith Master: Sith Master is a rank granted to a few Sith Lords, depending on their experience, intelligence, wisdom, mastery of the Force, skills in lightsaber combat or they had successfully killed their former mentor(s) who had the rank of Sith Master, however, after Darth Bane established the Rule of Two; there can only be one Sith Master at any given time.
- Darth: Some members of the Sith Order are addressed by the title of Darth.
- Sith: Sith is a title that is granted to individuals (Sith apprentice, Sith Lord, and Sith Master alike) who are members of the Sith Order.
- Dark Lord of the Sith: Dark Lord of the Sith is a title that is granted to a Sith Master who is the elected leader of Sith Order, and the head of the Dark Council, it is usually granted to the strongest, wisest, and most powerful member of the Sith Order, however, after Darth Bane established the Rule of Two; there can only be two Dark Lords of the Sith at a given time, a Sith Master, and a Sith apprentice. The Sith Master is the true Dark Lord of the Sith who trains and passes on the knowledge to the Sith apprentice, the new Dark Lord of the Sith; for an apprentice to gain the rank of Sith Master, and become the true Dark Lord, they must ether kill their mentor once their training is complete or wait for their master to die.
Sometime after the end of the Hundred-Year Darkness, the Sith Order was created by an unnamed/unknown rogue Jedi after he was exiled from the Jedi Order, by the Jedi High Council; for his beliefs that the true potential of the Jedi involved tapping into the dark side of the Force (prior to his expulsion from the Jedi Order, this unnamed/unknown male Jedi was secretly studying the forbidden teachings of the dark side of the Force, something that the Jedi High Council were completely unaware of; until after he established the Sith Order) the Dark Jedi gained a number of followers, and their actions led to the formation of the Sith Empire, for thousands of years they have been the eternal enemy of the Jedi since the formation of there organization, as well as the fact they have tried to conquer, and rule the galaxy.
Like the Jedi, the Sith used kyber crystals to power their lightsabers, however, as revealed by Palpatine, the main tradition of obtaining lightsaber crystals was to steal one from a Jedi the Sith Lord had slain and corrupt it with the dark side of the Force, turning it red; a technique referred to as "making the crystal bleed".
As the Sith Order became stronger, and more powerful, they had built many Sith Temples throughout the galaxy over the years, to serve as Sith academies to train new generations of Sith Lords across the galaxy; such as the Malachor Sith Temple, considered to be the very first according to historians among their ranks, the Mustafar Sith Temple, and the famous Moraband Sith Temple, in a location known as the Valley of the Dark Lords, which served as their headquarters.
At one point thousands of years before the Battle of Yavin, an unnamed/unknown female Dark Lord of the Sith constructed another Sith Temple on the planet of Malachor, which harbored a superweapon capable of destroying all life. The Jedi, in retaliation, launched an assault on Malachor but were utterly wiped out after the weapon activated, turning them all to stone.
For thousands of years the Sith continued to gain dominance throughout the galaxy, but their empire ultimately fell due to infighting between the various Sith Lords and their respective factions, the only survivor of this strife was Darth Bane, who created the rule of two. The Sith Order were believed to have been entirely wiped out by the Jedi Order, however, unknown to the Jedi and the people of the galaxy, Bane, utilizing his new philosophy, used the rule of two to rebuild the Sith.
Bane's Sith philosophy stated that only two Sith can exist at any given time; so the Sith could operate in secret, using subterfuge to plot their revenge against the Jedi, eventually, Bane was killed by the Jedi (when they learned of his survival and his new Sith philosophy) but unbeknownst to them, Bane had secretly taken an apprentice and by letting himself be killed, had drawn the Jedi's attention away from the Sith, leading them to think that the Sith Order had been destroyed for good, for a thousand years, the Sith would remain in hiding until the time was right to reveal themselves. Their hiding in the shadows was inadvertently aided by the actions of the Jedi, who purged all the knowledge of the Sith they found from the galaxy, leaving them completely unprepared for the Sith's eventual return which only helped the Sith Order to become stronger, and more powerful than ever before. Additionally, the Sith Eternal, their loyal followers, helped to maintain the ruse while loyally, and fanatically serving their liege lords.
After thousands of years, the Sith reintroduced themselves to the galaxy, when Darth Maul was sent to Tatooine by his former mentor, Sheev Palpatine, to capture Padmé Amidala, the queen of Naboo. During this mission he was confronted by Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, and during their duel - Qui-Gon realized that not only did his opponent know the ways of the Force, but he was also familiar with the Jedi art of lightsaber combat. He then concluded that the only viable explanation was that his opponent was a Sith.
After this encounter, Qui-Gon reported his concerns to the Jedi High Council, however, some members of the Jedi High Council were skeptical to believe this such as Ki-Adi-Mundi who stated that the Sith have been extinct for a millennium, and Mace Windu who arrogantly stated that the Sith could not possibly return without them knowing, however, Yoda and most other members of the Jedi High Council, knew that nothing was impossible, and that the dark side of the Force was unpredictable. It was only after the Invasion of Naboo, and Qui-Gon's death that the Jedi High Council finally accepted that the mysterious dark warrior was in fact, a Sith, though they had no way of knowing whether it was the Sith Master or the Sith apprentice that Obi-Wan Kenobi had killed.
Unknown to the people of the galaxy, Sheev Palpatine, the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic, was secretly Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith; the leader of the Sith Order, he had used his position to orchestrate the Clone Wars, and strategically gain more power, over the next three years, Sidious became progressively more powerful, and nearing the end of the Clone Wars - he had finally gained full control over the Galactic Senate, it was not until he had successfully converted Anakin Skywalker to the ways of the Sith, and turning him into the ruthless Sith Lord Darth Vader, that he initiated Order 66 - a brutal tactical strike targetting all Jedi, Mace Windu's extremism, and attempted murder on Sidious, gave the Dark Lord the pretext he needed to begin the Great Jedi Purge; bringing the Jedi Order to the brink of extinction. He restored the Sith Empire, and the Galactic Republic was reorganized into the First Galactic Empire, and transformed the Galactic Senate into the Imperial Senate.
For approximately fourteen years, Sidious oppressed the people of the galaxy, this eventually resulted in the founding of the Rebel Alliance, and the Galactic Civil War that would last for nine long years, at the Battle of Endor, Darth Vader finally broke away from the dark side, becoming Anakin Skywalker once again. When Anakin killed Sidious, he had killed the last surviving member of the Sith Order. However, Sidious would later resurrected himself via forbidden teachings of the dark side of the Force; to transfer his spirit into an undead clone of himself years after being killed by Anakin, but he was left in a severely weakened state, as he was no physical threat to the galaxy, as a result, he needed Snoke, and the First Order to accomplish his goals; to conquer the New Republic, and reinstate a new Sith Empire. Several years later, and through him the Sith make their return during the time of the war between the First Order and the Resistance.
Sidious merged the First Order with the Sith Eternal (their loyalist army of zealots) to create the Final Order to try, and reconquer the the galaxy. during the Battle of Exegol, in which the entire galaxy rose up to fight the Sith, and their army, the Jedi aspirant Rey; the granddaughter of Sidious, would destroy the Sith once-and-for all, using Luke and Leia's lightsabers to redirect Sidious' Force lightning back at him. With Sidious truly gone, and the Final Order, and Sith Eternal were annihilated, the Sith were finally vanquished from the galaxy for good; never to return.
- Darth Andeddu †
- Exar Kun †
- Darth Atrius †
- Darth Caldoth
- Darth Krall †
- Darth Skyre †
- Darth Wrend †
- Darth Tanis †
- Darth Desolous †
- Darth Phobos †
- Darth Momin †
- Darth Revan †
- Darth Bane †
- Darth Zannah †
- Darth Tenebrous †
- Darth Plagueis †
- Darth Sidious †
- Darth Maul † (formerly)
- Savage Opress †
- Darth Tyranus †
- Darth Vader † (formerly)
- In Star Wars Legends, the Sith Order wasn't destroyed during the Battle of Endor, instead, it as well as it's followers remained in hiding for some decade before resurfacing as a threat to the galaxy. A century later, a new Sith Order arose from the ashes and set out to conquer the galaxy. Famous members of the Sith from this timeline include Lumiya, Darth Caedus, the Lost Tribe of Sith, Darth Krayt, and the rest of the One Sith.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Sith. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|