Pepper Ann poses as an eighth grader in order to fit in with a group of cool eighth graders.
Pepper Ann becomes intrigued by an eighth-grader named Sketch and is implied to wanting to be like her. While rollerblading, Pepper Ann accidentally performs a complicated move that Sketch sees and compliments her on. During lunch, Pepper Ann is beckoned by Sketch to come hang out with her and she turns down Milo and Nicky to do so. Heading outside, Sketch introduces Pepper Ann, whom she calls Flare, to her group which consists of Poison, Tank and Hush. Sketch is convinced that Pepper Ann is an eighth-grader as well and she goes along with it, despite not understanding the eighth-grade lingo they speak. Nicky catches Pepper Ann and reprimands her, but she gets rid of her and agrees to hang out with Sketch and her friends again.
While hanging out in the library, Sketch explains to Pepper Ann that they should go to "the rager at Jake's...on the freeday". While she does not understand, Pepper Ann agrees to go to whatever they are talking about. She is later visited by Milo and Nicky who remind her that on Friday they are holding the fourth anniversary of when the latter removed her braces, meaning that they can eat sticky foods. Pepper Ann gives an aloof response and Nicky deduces that she has been hanging out with the eighth graders. Pepper Ann states that she would rather hang out with them and accuses Nicky of getting braces when she did not even need them to begin with to throw her off.
When Principal Hickey calls the eighth graders to an assembly, Pepper Ann goes and discovers that the assembly openly mocks seventh graders and brings out Flaming Snot to perform. Pepper Ann rushes back and forth to tell Milo and Nicky what she saw, but they rebuke her. She later figures out that "freeday" means Friday; the same day as Nicky's party. After the assembly, she learns that Sketch and her group do not like Flaming Snot, hate school and do not care much for boys. Pepper Ann finally cracks and explains to Sketch that she is a seventh grader, she cannot understand her lingo and that she cares for her friends Milo and Nicky. To her surprise, Sketch totally accepts this and notes that she is cool for just sticking with her friends over a party. She tells her that she will be eighth-grade material eventually. Pepper Ann, Milo and Nicky spend their Friday together happily.
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Pepper Ann Pearson
- Danny Cooksey as Milo Kamalani
- Clea Lewis as Nicky Little
- Don Adams as Principal Hickey
- Karen Duffy as Sketch
- Meredith Scott Lynn as Poison
- Brittany Murphy as Tank
"Ha ha, cool maracas!"
- This episode marks the first appearance of Sketch and most of the other 8th graders, hence the title. It's also the first time we hear "load", "flare" and other eighth-grade lingo.
- According to Nicky, she stopped wearing braces four years ago.
- Even though Pepper Ann learned that Mick Snot of Flaming Snot is not a great guy in person in "Snot Your Mother's Music", she still idolizes the band.
- True to Hush's name, she never speaks and therefore does not have a voice actor.
- While Craig Bean appears in this episode, he does not have any speaking lines.
- The episode's title is a reference to the classic war novel Catch 22.