Several prototypes of what would eventually become Skymax were created before the final product was found. The necessity for a delivery system came when Big Hero 6 failed to stop a blazing fire due to forgetting where their suits were last stored and having to manually retrieve them. The first prototypes—all created by Hiro—were plagued with malfunctions. The final product came when Hiro was forced to come up with a quick and efficient way to save his family cat, Mochi, from being launched into space by a crazed game show host. Afterward, Hiro repurposed this new rescue droid to act as a delivery system for his team's suits. By the events of "Kentucky Kaiju", Hiro had built five more Skymax robots for each member of the team.
All six Skymax robots have a rocket-like compact body. The arms are concealed within the body and can expanded when needed. Their chests hold a storage compartment, large enough to store the team's suits. They have small heads with a single visor that can be detached from the body. The Skymaxes come in six different colors and features a symbol imprinted on their chests, representing each member.
- Hiro: Purple with a Microbot symbol.
- Baymax: Red with himself as a symbol.
- Go Go Tomago: Yellow with a maglev disc symbol.
- Honey Lemon: Pink with a chem ball symbol.
- Wasabi: Green with a plasma blade symbol.
- Fred: Blue with a monster eye symbol.
Powers and Abilities
- Flight: the Skymaxes are equipped with rocket features that allow them to launch into the air and fly great lengths at a fast-paced speed.
- Retractable Arms and Pincers: From both sides of its structure, the Skymaxes can use mechanical arms and pincers to grab and/or hold onto objects.
- Storage Unit: At the center of each Skymax is a large storage unit, capable of concealing numerous objects and even small animals.