Mickey Mouse enters Pluto in a ritzy dog show. While Mickey grooms Pluto, Pluto starts swooning over Fifi the Peke. Things don't look good for Mickey and Pluto after the judge who looks over Pluto throws them out when the dog attacks the judge. But when a fire breaks out in the building (caused by a photographer), Pluto bravely goes in to save Fifi and is a hero.
- This cartoon is notable in that it was the last appearance of Mickey's older character design.
- There was later a comic strip based on it by Floyd Gottfredson although the comic strip was portrayed quite differently than the cartoon.
- This is Mickey's 100th appearance in a Disney cartoon.
- The original opening titles to the cartoon appears on the Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Starring Pluto & Fifi VHS.
- This is the first appearance of Pluto wearing a green collar instead of red.(The poster still shows that Pluto's collar is red.)
- Direction: Bill Roberts
- Music: Oliver Wallace
- Animation: Al Eugster, Norman Ferguson, Shamus Culhane and John Lounsbery
- The Mickey Mouse Club, January 28, 1958
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #60
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #73
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.37: "Mickey's Pal Pluto"
- Have a Laugh!, episode #36
- Treasures from the Disney Vault, June 6, 2018
- Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Cartoon Collections, Volume 2
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Starring Pluto & Fifi
- Mickey Loves Minnie (1956 reissue print)
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Starring Donald & Daisy / Starring Pluto & Fifi
- Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume Two
- Mickey and Minnie's Sweetheart Stories
- Disney+, November 12, 2019
Have a Laugh! changes
The following scenes were deleted from the short release due to time constraints:
- The entire first half, including Mickey taking Pluto to stall 13, grooming him, and Pluto flirting with Fifi.
- Mickey having to pull Pluto away from Fifi when Pluto is called to the judge's stand.
- Mickey escorting Pluto to the stand.
- Pluto's ineptitude that angers the judge, who in turn angers Pluto, too.
- The judge calling for Pluto to be thrown out.
- Mickey telling the judge that Pluto won't bite, even though Pluto does just that to the judge's pants.
- Pluto trying to navigate the burning building to save Fifi is shortened, as is the roller coaster-like escape.