- “Come meet the new girl in crown.”
Sofia the First is a 3D computer-animated television series that ran from January 11, 2013 to September 8, 2018. The series pilot made its debut on Disney Channel on November 18, 2012 with a one-hour special. The series stars Modern Family actress Ariel Winter as the voice of the titular character, who is a young girl standing on the verge of becoming a proper, royal princess. The show went off the air for exactly 2 years on November 30, 2018, before returning again in reruns at 6am on November 30, 2020, starting with the pilot movie.
It introduces Sofia (voiced by Ariel Winter) a little girl with acommoner's background until her mother (voiced by Sara Ramirez) marries King Roland II (voiced by Travis Willingham) and she becomes royalty.
The series follows the adventures of Sofia, a young girl who becomes a princess overnight after her mother married King Roland II. Sofia tries her best to adapt to her new life being a princess and has her stepbrother and sister James and Amber to help her along with the headmistresses of the Royal Preparatory Academy, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather, the Three Good Fairies from Disney’s classic Sleeping Beauty, and when Sofia is in her darkest hours, classic Disney Princesses are there for her whenever she needs help.
Sofia learns that looking like a princess isn't all that hard, but behaving like one must come from the heart. The stories focus on the idea that what makes a real princess is what's on the inside. The show highlights character qualities, such as kindness, courage, bravery, generosity, loyalty, honesty, and grace. Subjects such as sincerity and forgiveness are heavily focused on. She has the magical and incredibly powerful Amulet of Avalor that allows her to talk with animals, shrink, and even turn into a mermaid. However, her magical amulet is coveted by the evil sorcerer Cedric, who desires its tremendous magical power to take over the kingdom of Enchancia.
- Ariel Winter as Princess Sofia
- Darcy Rose Byrnes as Princess Amber
- Zach Callison/Tyler Merna/Nicolas Cantu as Prince James
- Sara Ramirez as Queen Miranda
- Travis Willingham as King Roland II
- Wayne Brady as Clover
- Jess Harnell as Cedric the Sorcerer
A range of "Sofia the First" merchandise has been produced everywhere in the world.
- The animation in Season 2 onwards are lighter and smoother than in Season 1.
- Purple is the most common and favored color throughout the series due to it being Sofia's signature color.
- At the beginning of the series, the Royal Preparatory Academy's students learn there are 138 kingdoms. That does not count two kingdoms revealed throughout the series: Merroway Cove and Hakalo. Only the Royal Family of Enchancia (Princess Sofia, her parents, and siblings) know about these two kingdoms.
- Sofia was the only princess at Royal Prep to ride a horse, but now Amber does. In "Substitute Cedric", Maya can be seen wearing a Derby uniform.