|| "Even miracles take a little time."
This article features media from Walt Disney Company or its subsidiaries that has yet to be released.
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
- “Everybody has a soul. Joe Gardner is about to find his.”
Soul is an upcoming American 3D computer animated science fantasy musical comedy adventure film produced by Pixar set to be released on November 20, 2020. The film will be directed by Pete Docter, co-directed by Kemp Powers, and produced by Dana Murray as Pixar's 23rd feature film.
Joe Gardner is a middle school band teacher with a love for jazz music. After a successful gig at the Half Note Club, he suddenly gets into an accident that separates his soul from his body and is transported to the You Seminar, a center in which souls develop and gain passions before being transported to a newborn child. Joe must enlist help from the other souls-in-training, like 22, a soul who has spent eons in the You Seminar, in order to get back to Earth.
- Jamie Foxx as Joe Gardner
- Tina Fey as 22
- Questlove as Curly
- Phylicia Rashad as Joe's Mother
- Daveed Diggs as Paul
- Angela Bassett as Dorothea Williams
- John Ratzenberger as TBA
- Richard Ayoade as TBA
- TBA as Gerry, an abstract figure in the Great Before
- TBA as Terry, an abstract counter figure at the Great Beyond
- This will be the first Pixar film to have an African-American as the leading character as opposed to a supporting/secondary role for their previous films.
- This will be the third time that Pixar releases a second film in the same year, after 2015's Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur and 2017's Cars 3 and Coco.
- This will be the first film to have Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross compose music for a Pixar film while this will be the second film to be a musical with Jon Batiste providing the songs, the first being Coco.
- This is the first Pixar film that Pete Docter directed where Michael Giacchino doesn't do the score since 2001's Monsters, Inc., which was done by Randy Newman.
- This is Pete Docter's first film to be produced in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, as his previous films were in the 1.85:1 ratio.
- Tina Fey collaborated with Amy Poehler, who voiced Joy in Inside Out, which was also directed by Pete Docter.
- The Chinese food box that appeared on the stock marker's desk is the same one that appeared in previous Pixar films like A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, and Inside Out.
- A broccoli pizza from Inside Out appeared among the pizzas when Joe tries to show 22 the joys of life.
- Coincidentally this is Pixar's 23rd feature and, according to Pete Docter, the story was born out of fact even his now 23-year-old son had personality even as a baby.
- This is the first (and only) Pixar film that was delayed due to the 2019–2020 Coronavirus pandemic, unlike Onward which was released before it started.