|| "Even miracles take a little time."
This article features media from Walt Disney Company or its subsidiaries that has yet to be released.
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
- “Everybody has a soul. Joe Gardner is about to find his.”
Soul is an upcoming American 3D computer animated science fantasy musical comedy adventure film produced by Pixar set to be released on June 19, 2020. The film will be directed by Pete Docter, co-directed by Kemp Powers, and produced by Dana Murray. It will be Pixar's 23rd feature film.
Joe Gardner is a middle school band teacher with a love for jazz music. After a successful gig at the Half Note Club, he suddenly gets into an accident that separates his soul from his body and is transported to the You Seminar, a center in which souls develop and gain passions before being transported to a newborn child. Joe must enlist help from the other souls-in-training, like 22, a soul who has spent eons in the You Seminar, in order to get back to Earth.
According to Disney Television Animation News' Twitter, #Soul envisions a world where souls are trained prior to becoming part of babies - which is why they immediately have personalities from birth. The story centers on a music teacher named Joe, who dreams at playing at a prestigious jazz club, and finally gets his chance.
- Jamie Foxx as Joe Gardner
- Tina Fey as 22
- Questlove as Curly
- Phylicia Rashad as Joe's Mother
- Daveed Diggs as Paul
- Angela Bassett as Dorothea Williams
- John Ratzenberger as TBA
- TBA as Gerry, a abstract figure in the Great Before.
- TBA as Terry, a abstract counter figure at the Great Beyond.
- This will be the first Pixar film to have an African-American as the leading character as opposed to a supporting/secondary role for their previous films.
- This will be the third time that Pixar releases a second film in the same year, after 2015's Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur and 2017's Cars 3 and Coco.
- This will be the second Pixar film to be released on June 19, after the aforementioned Inside Out.
- Coincidentally, both films were directed by Pete Docter, who is also producing this film following John Lasseter's departure.
- This will be the first film to have Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross compose music for a Pixar film while this will be the second film to be a musical with Jon Batiste providing the songs, the first being Coco.
- This is the first Pixar film that Pete Docter directed where Michael Giacchino doesn't do the score since 2001's Monsters, Inc., which was done by Randy Newman.
- This is Pete Docter's first film to be produced in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, as his previous films were in the 1.85:1 ratio.
- Tina Fey collaborated with Amy Poehler, who voiced Joy in Inside Out, which was also directed by Pete Docter.
- The Chinese food box that appeared on the stock marker's desk is the same one that appeared in previous Pixar films like A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, and Inside Out.
- A broccoli pizza from Inside Out appeared among the pizzas when Joe tries to show 22 the joys of life.
- Coincidentally this is Pixar's 23rd feature and, according to Pete Doctor, the story was born out fact even his now 23-year-old son had personality even as a baby.
- This will be the first Disney film to be released in theaters since Pixar's previous film Onward, which was released three months earlier, due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- ↑ https://deadline.com/2019/06/soul-pixar-summer-2020-release-date-1202634880/
- ↑ https://www.thewrap.com/soul-jamie-foxx-and-tina-fey-star-in-pixars-most-existential-adventure-yet/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DisneyTVANews/status/1165328868531724288
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/status/1165330766642864129?s=20