Stitch & Ai (安玲与史迪奇 "An Ling and Stitch") is a television series spin-off of Lilo & Stitch produced for Chinese audiences that premiered on March 27, 2017 on CCTV-1 and CCTV-14. It is the Lilo & Stitch franchise's third TV series, after the Western-animated Lilo & Stitch: The Series and the anime Stitch!.
The series was produced in English before being dubbed in Mandarin for Chinese broadcast, as the show was produced with the assistance of American animators, including those who previously worked on Lilo & Stitch: The Series. The original English version began airing on Disney Channel Asia on February 5, 2018. On December 1, 2018, it was given a digital release in Western countries on the DisneyNow website and app, with the exception of the ninth episode "The Phoenix", although it has been removed from the service as of June 2019.
This series sees Stitch separated from Lilo after being captured by a gang of space criminals who had hoped to replicate Jumba's research. When Stitch escapes, he ends up re-entering Earth's atmosphere over China and ends up landing in the Huangshan Mountains where he befriends a young girl named Wang Ai Ling and becomes part of her family. Jumba and Pleakley also show up to keep a watch on Stitch and to help out him and his new family. However, Jumba becomes concerned with a hidden function that he secretly programmed in Stitch—a function that causes him to grow into a giant beast when his destructive programming is triggered in a large city—could be unleashed if the space criminals figure out how to manipulate Stitch into triggering it.
- Ben Diskin - Stitch
- Erica Mendez - Wang Ai Ling
- Laura Post - Wang Jiejie, Daiyu
- Jess Winfield - Jumba Jookiba
- Lucien Dodge - Pleakley, Dahu, Sage, Platypus
- Cherami Leigh and Xanthe Huynh - Meiying
- Richard Epcar - Wombat, Mr. Ding, Cobra Bubbles, Gantu
- Kyle Hebert - additional voices
- Bobby Thong - additional voices
- Sarah Anne Williams - additional voices
- Deborah Crane - additional voices
- Jacob Craner - additional voices
- Steve Kramer - additional voices
- Bryce Papenbrook - additional voices
- This series marks the first time that experiments can mate and breed new experiments.
- This is the first Lilo & Stitch TV series where none of the first 625 experiments appear, and the first one in which neither Gantu nor Dr. Hämsterviel are main characters.
- Various scenes from previous installments in the franchise appear in flashbacks, including:
- Ben Diskin and Jess Winfield reprise their roles as Stitch and Jumba respectively from the English dub of the Stitch! anime.
- There are occasional cameos from previous characters of the Lilo & Stitch franchise, including Captain Gantu, the Grand Councilwoman, Cobra Bubbles, and the Ice Cream Man.
- Plans for a potential season two was discussed by the production team, but Disney did not approve of a second season.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 "Stitch & Ai debuts in South East Asia". ToonBarn. (February 13, 2018) Retrieved on February 15, 2018.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Croyle, Joshua. Discussions with Tony Craig: Executive Producer “Lilo & Stitch: The Series” and “Stitch & Ai!” JoshuaCroyle.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2018. Retrieved on March 3, 2018.