It should be noted that only titles named on this page are distributed by Disney; Ghibli's 2011 film From Up on Poppy Hill was not distributed in the U.S. by Disney but rather by GKIDS, which currently now holds U.S. theatrical rights to all of Studio Ghibli's films, even those named below since 2011. Disney also holds the French (Released under the Buena Vista Home Entertainment name), Taiwanese and Japanese Home Media rights to the Studio Ghibli library.
Disney continued to distribute the remaining movies they owned on Home Media until 2017, when the licence expired and GKIDS took over the home media rights from Disney, releasing a full roster of reissues. The only exception to this was The Wind Rises, due to the fact GKIDS classifies it as a “Recent” film. Disney however continues to distribute the Studio Ghibli library in France, Taiwan and Japan.
Disney and Ghibli
In 1996, Tokuma Shoten, the parent company of Studio Ghibli at the time announced that Disney would be able to distribute Ghibli's catalogue onto Home Media in Japan, and that Disney also had worldwide rights to distribute their then latest movie, Princess Mononoke theatrically outside Japan.
By the 2000s, the international sales rights to Studio Ghibli's catalogue were sold to German based company Wild Bunch, who would allow other companies to release the library in the country they traded in. Disney/Buena Vista continued to distribute the films in France, Taiwan and the United States.
In 2011, Disney sold the North American theatrical rights to the Studio Ghibli catalogue to New York based distributor GKIDS as they felt that they no longer needed them. GKIDS has re-released the films in cinemas a numerous amount of times throughout the years, mainly as part of Ghibli Film Festivals. In 2013, Disney refused to distribute Studio Ghibli’s then recent film From Up on Poppy Hill (they still distributed the film in Taiwan, France and Japan home media) in North America and instead sold the film to GKIDS for distribution both theatrically and on home media (through Cinedigm). This as the first Studio Ghibli Movie since Princess Mononoke not released as a Disney product. Disney however distributed The Wind Rises though their Touchstone Pictures Label, Which was the last film released through Disney in the US.
Other Studio Ghibli films, like The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie was There, Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves were also distributed through GKIDS, with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment handling distribution on Home Media.
In 2017, GKIDS fully took over distribution of the Studio Ghibli catalogue on home media from Disney, with the acceptation of Grave of the Fireflies (as it’s not directly a Studio Ghibli film in many countries, as the rights to the film remain with the book’s publisher and not Tokuma (GKIDS however have the theatrical rights to this film)) and The Wind Rises (As the movie is still fairly recent and Disney still held the exclusive distribution rights, in-which Disney's rights to the movie will expire in September 2020). GKIDS have since re-released all the Studio Ghibli films on DVD and Blu-Ray under their branding, through Shout! Factory. In October 2019, GKIDS announced that they would issue the movies onto WarnerMedia's streaming service HBO Max when the service launches in May 2020, ending a full legacy of Disney's rights to Ghibli movies in the country.
Even though Disney no longer holds the rights to Studio Ghibli's film library in North America, they continue to do so in France and Taiwan (through Deltamac, who distributes Disney's movies in the region), while Walt Disney Studios Japan remains the exclusive Japanese distributor of Ghibli's library on Home Media.
Films distributed to video by Disney
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
- Castle in the Sky (1986)
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
- Porco Rosso (1992)
- Pom Poko (1994)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995)
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
- The Cat Returns (2002)
Films theatrically released with Disney
- Princess Mononoke (1997; distributed through Miramax Films)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Tales from Earthsea (2006)
- Ponyo (2008)
- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)
- The Wind Rises (2013; distributed through Touchstone Pictures)
Films exclusively released by Disney in Japan, Taiwan and France
These Studio Ghibli films were distributed (or in some cases, assisted) by Disney outside North America.
- Grave of the Fireflies (1988, Japanese DVD and Blu-Ray releases only, released by Sentai Filmworks in North America)
- Only Yesterday (1991, released by GKIDS in North America)
- Ocean Waves (1993, Japanese DVD and Blu-Ray releases only, released by GKIDS in North America)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011, Credited as Walt Disney Japan, released by GKIDS in North America)
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013, Credited as Walt Disney Japan, released by GKIDS in North America)
- When Marnie was There (2014, Credited as Walt Disney Japan, released by GKIDS in North America)
- The Red Turtle (2016, Japanese DVD and Blu-Ray releases only, copyrighted as Walt Disney Japan. released by Wild Bunch in France and Sony Pictures Classics in North America)
- One of the studios' characters, Totoro, from My Neighbor Totoro, made a cameo in Toy Story 3 as a plush toy.
- Despite the English dub version of Princess Mononoke being distributed by Miramax Films (which was owned by Disney at the time it came out), it was not one of the films that was sold alongside the Miramax library, as Disney still retains Home Entertainment rights of the film due to Disney holding rights to the 16 Ghibli films they distributed.
- The TV movie Ocean Waves was also part of the Disney deal, but Disney never released the film onto DVD and it was eventually released in North America by GKIDS in December 2016.