Sumu is a scorpion who appeared in The Lion Guard episode, The Scorpion's Sting. An ally of Scar, he is a dangerous scorpion who was sent by Scar to take out Simba by stinging him with poison, nearly resulting in the king's death.
Sumu is not a reckless attacker which is revealed when he questioned why Scar wanted the Lion Guard to know he was behind the scheme. He is also dangerous and powerful which is proven when he nearly killed Simba with just his stinger.
Role in the series
When Scar introduced Sumu to his army, Janja jumped onto Reirei and Kiburi until he revealed to him that he was not going to go after him but rather to go after Simba. Scar then orders Sumu to take down Simba on the day he defeated Scar. Later that afternoon, when the Pride Animals sing "Good King Simba", he stings him in the tail, which knocks him over and nearly kills him, causing the Pride Animals to react in shock of what the poisonous scorpion did to their king. He then scurries for the Outlands and is chased by the Lion Guard until he escapes through a tunnel that leads to the Outlands. He later reports his success to Scar and Ushari, being praised for his deed with Scar saying, "You've helped me set the perfect trap." Afterwards, he is never seen again. However, the Lion Guard manages to bring the volcanic ash to cure Simba stung by Sumu, which foils his plan. Even after Simba is cured after the events of the episode, Sumu's further fate is unknown.
- He is the first scorpion in The Lion King franchise.
- "Sumu" means "poison" in Swahili.
- His voice actor, Ford Riley, is also the director of The Lion Guard.
- Additionally, his voice actor was only listed as one of the additional voices.
- Sumu is one of the antagonists in the series whose defeat is never shown onscreen. Thus, he is also one of them to have the shortest screen time of all the villains featured in The Lion Guard.