Taro is a very quiet boy who is afraid to fight back, for which he falls prey to bullies such as Kenny. However, he once tried to fight back against Kenny and his gang, which caused his and Yuna's dojo to fight Kenny's gang and ended in a draw. He often has trouble keeping up with his studies at school, especially martial arts. Taro has also been shown to be very fond of insects, especially butterflies.
Role in the series
In "Ichariba Chodei", he arrives at Yuna's dojo in tears and says that Kenny took his console. Yuna helps Taro by going with him to Kenny's gang, where he passed what he thought was an easy level. Yuna demands an apology to Taro, but they only taunt him. Yuna then blew off Kenny's hat with a blow and they returned the console and ran away. Then Taro and Yuna hear some strange noises in the city and then they see that something is happening in the forest.
In "The Surprise Party", he celebrated Yuna's birthday with her friends.
In "Reuben's Rice Balls", Taro is shown to not like eating healthy food, which would give him the needed strength to win the black belt competition. However, when Reuben drops by for a visit, he makes rice balls with secret food in it so Taro can win the competition. Taro discovers he likes the rice balls, and successfully wins the black belt as a result. When Taro later finds out what the rice balls really contain, it doesn't faze him at all, and he even asks for more.
In "Stitch Sings!" Taro, Yuna and Stitch enter a singing competition where Taro wants to win a trip to a hot spring for his father who has back problems. During rehearsals, it was revealed that Taro is very stage fright and that Stitch doesn't sing well and Taro thinks they can't win because of him and Pleakley tries to give Stitch a couple of singing lessons. During the performance, Stitch arrived late and Yuna and Taro performed alone. Taro was very shy and could not sing, and then he saw his father, who came to watch the performance. Then Stitch came on stage and everyone started dancing and Taro's father's back went back to normal.
In "Princess Penny", he was one of the town's residents who fell under the influence of Checkers and became Penny's servant. During this, he failed and was turned into a pineapple. When Checkers' influence ended, he, and the rest of the residents, returned to normal.
In "Nosy Meets Tigerlily", Taro sat in class with the rest of his classmates while Yuna came along with Nosy to gossip about Tigerlily, but he ended up gossiping about everyone, including Taro, that made him hysterical and he began to cry. Tigerlily interrupted all this and blamed Yuna for this and said that this is not how friends are treated. Yuna felt guilty and ran out of the classroom. Then after the lessons, Taro asked Tigerlily to tell Yuna that he was no longer angry with her.
- In the episode "Stitch Sings!", Taro has been shown blushing around Yuna upon asking her to sing with him in Izayoi Island's singing contest. It is unknown if this is just him being overtly shy or if this hints a secret crush, though it is up to speculation.
- When Marvin bullies Taro, he jokes about Yuna having fallen in love with Taro.
- Taro is somewhat similar to Dolores and Lionel from the anime's third season, as they both wear glasses, have black hair, have white colors in their clothes, and neither of them are very talkative.
- However, Dolores and Lionel have a wider range of knowledge, since Taro is more interested in biology than in other sciences.
- Taro uses an inhaler.
- Although Stitch is friends with Taro, he doesn't seem to like him very well. When they exchanged bodies for a while, Stitch called Taro useless, although Gramma claimed that it was not so and there was a benefit from Taro, though Stitch still refused to accept it. This is all due to the fact that Taro is very weak and cowardly. Stitch gets along well even with Kenny, Ted, and Marvin (who are bullies), but Stitch still treats them better than Taro.