"That's the Spirit" is an episode of the animated series Phineas and Ferb.
It's Halloween night and the kids encounter a very strange boy named Russell, who is convinced his house is haunted. Meanwhile, Dr. Doofenshmirtz's disdain for grass causes him to invent a "Mind-Transfer-Inator" enabling him to merge minds with a cow and destroy all the grass in the Tri-State Area. Unfortunately, his plan backfires and he transforms into a scary "were-cow" that wreaks havoc any time there is a full moon. It's now up to Agent P to stop him and save Danville.
While trick-or-treating with Candace, Phineas, and Ferb meet up with their friends. Phineas is dressed as a vampire, Ferb is Frankenstein's monster, Candace is Heidi, Perry is Igor, Baljeet is a daisy, Buford is a pirate, and Isabella is a fairy princess. While walking, they come across a house that they have never seen before. As they approach it, they meet a boy hiding in a bush named Russell. Russell says that hiding in the leaves makes him feel warm and secure, relatively speaking. Baljeet asks why he does not go inside his house and Russell confirms that it's haunted. Phineas decides that they should help Russell by busting the ghosts, and Russell reluctantly follows.
Perry enters his Halloween-decorated lair through a jack-o-lantern, where Carl greets him, dressed as Major Monogram. Major Monogram, dressed as Carl, gives him his mission by telling him of some strange sightings: the Danville golf course has been chewed down to bare dirt, strange howls at the moon have been heard, cow-related graffiti at every leather shop in the Tri-State Area, and a crop circle shaped like a cow.
Phineas, Ferb, and the gang enter the house with Russell, and to Phineas' surprise, his EMF meter picks up a 78. Suddenly, the jack-o-lantern in front of him grows into a scary humanoid with a pumpkin head, and asks the children if they aren't a little young to be hunting ghosts. They reply with a terrified "Yes, yes we are!" before running off, the monster at their heels.
Perry enters Doofenshmirtz's apartment to find that he has chained himself up. Doofenshmirtz explains that a few days ago, he declared war on grass, so he got himself a cow, the natural predator of grass. However, the cow was too slow, so Doofenshmirtz invented the Mind-Transfer-Inator to motivate the cow to work faster. Instead, Doofenshmirtz developed gaps in his memory, a strange craving to lick salt, found himself watching the nightly farm report as well as the pasture channel way more than usual, and because of this, he suspects that he is no longer human, which is why he needs to tie himself up. All of a sudden, he begins to transform into a were-cow, and breaks the restrains. The Doofenshmirtz were-cow runs off into the streets with Perry pursuing it with a lasso.
Back in the haunted house, Candace desperately tries to open the locked door. Russell comments that sometimes the floor gives out, which is exactly what happens. The children fall into the ghost-infested graveyard basement, where the monster continues to chase them into a red lake, and Baljeet comments that the liquid is the wrong color and viscosity for water. Zombies rise from the "water", and the terrified children continue to run.
After watching a news report on the were-cow, the locals form an angry mob, while Perry finds Doofenshmirtz in his human form in the middle of a crop circle. Doofenshmirtz tries to go with Perry, but is transformed again as the clouds part from the full moon. The angry mob finds them, and they pursue the were-cow into the streets, trampling Perry in the process. The mob becomes covered in flour after chasing the were-cow through a cooking class.
The jack-o-lantern monster has the children cornered in the basement. Ferb throws a skull at it, knocking its head off. As sparks fly from its neck, the children realize that it was a robot. They then learn that it was Russell, along with his parents Waylon and Mona, who had been tricking them with their animatronic haunted house. The EMF meters had been picking up on hidden frequency emitters. Impressed, Phineas asks for one more trick. Just then, the were-cow busts through the wall with the angry mob close behind it, trampling Candace. The children applaud, mistaking the flour-covered mob for ghosts, much to the confusion of Russell and his parents.
As the children go their separate ways for the night, Phineas is surprised to see that the haunted house is gone, only to see Waylon deflating it for the season. Phineas says that this is about the time in cliché Halloween stories when someone really turns into a ghost. Phineas and Ferb stop and stare suspiciously at Russell and his parents for a few seconds, until Russell tells them that it's not going to happen. Phineas then says goodbye and that they will see them next year.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb
- Kelly Hu as Stacy
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Tyler Alexander Mann as Carl
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford
- Michael Douglas as Waylon
- Dylan Douglas as Russell
- April Winchell as Mona, Bridgette Oshinomi
- Tom Kenny as Jack-O-Lantern
- At the beginning of the episode, Phineas and Isabella were carrying candy in brown paper bags, but at the end of the episode, they are seen carrying jack-o-lanterns instead.
- In the scene Phineas asks Russell to come with the gang in the haunted house, Russell's mouth is not moving.
- When Doofenshmirtz first transforms into a Were-Cow he has 8 teats on his udder. Through the rest of the episode he only has 4.
- Doofenshmirtz mentioned liking Halloween, but hated it in "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!" although this episode could have taken place before "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!" as since he could have hated it after this day, or he could have learned to love it after "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!" .
- Isabella has wings on her dress, but when the group is shivering with fear while in the graveyard room and in the rest of the episode, Isabella has no wings on. (they might have fallen off in the shallow river.)
- Despite the fact that haunted house was inflatable the entire episode it didn't deflate when Doofenshmirtz Were-Cow and the Angry Mob smashed through the wall.
- Since Doofenshmirtz is male, he should have transformed into a Were-Bull instead of a Were-Cow (perhaps he turned in a Were-Cow because he combined brains with a cow, and being the fact that the brain of a cow and a bull are different, this could be the reason, though physically he is still male).
- Apparently, Doof never returned to his normal style but in "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!" (that happens after this episode) there is not any sign of the Were-Cow.
- When Buford says "What kind of person hands out these weird, orange peanuts? We gotta find a better neighborhood", look closely at Phineas and you can see that his eyes are colored blue, indicating a normal day shade. Usually when it's dark, the night shading makes his eyes appear black.
- Characters costume in this episodes are:
- Phineas: Count Dracula
- Ferb: Frankenstein's Monster
- Candace: Heidi (usually unnoticed)
- Perry: Igor
- Isabella: Fairy Princess
- Buford: Pirate
- Baljeet: Daisy (confused with a daffodil)
- Monogram: Carl
- Carl: Monogram
- It is never revealed how Doofenshmirtz gets turned back to normal; it doesn't matter much, though, because only one other episode takes place after this one, and in said episode, dark clouds block the moon anyway.
- The devices used by the kids to investigate the house closely resemble the PKE Meters used by the Ghostbusters.
- The Pumpkin-headed ghost resembles Jack Skellington's scarecrow costume.
- When Ferb shows off his ghost hunting gear, there is a speaker type device that looks like a Hidden Mickey.
- Doofenshmirtz turns into a Were-cow, just like Dave Barbarian in the Dave the Barbarian episode "The Cow Says Moon".
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Phineas and Ferb Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of The Phineas and Ferb Wiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|