A sinister genius marketer and mole named Professor Moliarty plots to plunge everything into darkness and seize control of the surface city of St. Canard----by stealing buildings and creating a beam to lock the moon into an eternal eclipse, with the help from his fellow race.
- This episode was made into a children's book under the same name.
- Much of the clips in the opening sequence were taken from this episode.
- It's possible that this episode was made as the original pilot, given the amount of exposition provided, as well as Darkwing not doing any variations after "I am the terror..." (He says "I am the winged scourge that pecks at your nightmares" twice.)
- At one point, D.W. says, "It's like the chicken said: I knew the job was dangerous when I took it!", a reference to Super Chicken, a segment of George of the Jungle, whose catchphrase was, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred."
- The opening monologue, "I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the winged scourge that pecks at your nightmares", is used again in the DuckTales half-hour special Let's Get Dangerous!.