Pepper Ann despises Alice Kane, a student in her class who has won the science fair every year and has humiliated her with a variety of projects including the Possum in a Barrel (of which its purpose is never explained in the episode) and is always getting second place. Nicky attempts to calm Pepper Ann until she realizes that she truly has never won against Alice who snobbishly calls Pepper Ann "Pee Ann". She reveals her latest project is going to be a full-body muff for arctic expeditions. Pepper Ann decides to set herself to creating her latest science fair project and shuts herself in her room for the three weeks leading up to the presentation.
Pepper Ann finally finishes her project, but when Lydia asks if she will need a ride, Pepper Ann confronts her mother with a series of rules: pick her up in the back of the school, do not call her by any nicknames or baby names and most importantly, no hugging. Pepper Ann rushes to school and everyone presents their, less than stellar, science fair projects. Alice goes up to present her body muff which despite Pepper Ann worrying about her winning, it is clearly evident that her project is just as flawed as everyone else's.
Pepper Ann presents her project: a sandwich cookie that can be infused with gingivitis fighting chemicals. Her project clearly does not work and as she wrestles with it, it explodes covering the class and Mr. Carter with a special kind of chocolate. Nicky realizes that Pepper Ann accidentally invented tartar control frothachino which impresses everyone and she is awarded as the winner of the science fair. Pepper Ann meets Alice outside and she admits that it was not about beating her, but rather challenging herself. Alice congratulates her but tells her to be wary of the spotlight. Lydia picks up Pepper Ann and kisses her on the cheek; imagining everyone including the news coming down on her for the embarrassing gesture. Ultimately, Pepper Ann is just glad that she won the science fair.
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Pepper Ann Pearson
- Jeff Bennett as Craig Bean, Dieter Lederhosen
- Danny Cooksey as Milo Kamalani
- Clea Lewis as Nicky Little
- Pamela Segall as Moose Pearson
- April Winchell as Lydia Pearson
- Kath Soucie as Cissy Rooney
- Lauren Tom as Alice Kane
- Cree Summer as Tessa and Vanessa James
- Jim Cummings as Roland Carter
"Ooh, a bicentennial quarter!"
- The "Susie Bake Oven" Moose refers to is a parody of the real-life Easy-Bake Oven.
- When Pepper Ann runs out of the house in terror, her cell model (which is supposed to be in the foreground) crosses behind Lydia (who is supposed to be in the background).
- When Pepper Ann is talking to her reflection in the final scene, her mouth is moving out of sync to the audio.