Centuries ago, a single drop of moonlight fell from the heavens and transformed into an opal, carrying the power to destroy and kill all who tried to claim its power. To prevent this from happening, a kingdom was created around the opal, and the rulers took an oath to keep the Moonstone's power from destroying the rest of the world. The responsibility of protecting the Moonstone was passed down generation after generation among the Kings and statues were built for each of the past rulers for fulfilling this duty.
Centuries later, the kingdom was ruled by King Edmund and his wife who gave birth to a baby boy. However, the Black Rocks, the creations of the Moonstone, began to ravage the Dark Kingdom, transforming it into a wasteland as they continued to grow and spread all throughout and even within the castle. King Edmund couldn't bear the situation anymore and tried to destroy the opal. However, his attempts failed and caused a catastrophic event that nearly destroyed the Dark Kingdom, but resulted in the loss of his arm and the death of his wife. In the aftermath of the devastation, King Edmund ordered the entire kingdom to evacuate and never return. This included sending away his infant son Eugene with a servant woman to keep everyone safe. The King then advised his most trusted and skilled warriors, known as the Brotherhood to leave the castle and keep anyone from finding the Moonstone. Since then, King Edmund would remain behind to keep his oath of protecting the world from it as well.
Twenty-five years later, King Edmund meets Rapunzel and her friends who come to the Dark Kingdom to fulfill Rapunzel's destiny to grab the Moonstone to restore balance to the world. The king is determined to stop them, but upon doing so discovers his son Eugene among Rapunzel's company. King Edmund is delighted and believes the return of his son is a sign that together they would finally destroy the Moonstone, freeing their family from their destiny of protecting the powerful opal.
Places of interest
- The Throne Room: Located outside the Vault, it features the emblem of the Dark Kingdom engraved on the floor and statues of all the previous Dark Kings.
- The Vault: Located deep underground, the vault is a sacred place within the castle that contains the Moonstone, featuring a long bridge from the entrance leading to the cage containing the opal.
- The Dining Room: Located inside the castle, it includes a long dining room table with nine chairs and a fireplace with a portrait of King Edmund and his wife hanging above.
- The Cable Car Station: It is the only pathway to access to the kingdom from outside, over the valley of black rocks.
- The Sewer: The alternative path to the moonstone vault that is covered with lava.
- The comet shaped emblem of the Dark Kingdom is also featured as the mark on the hands of Quirin and Adira.
- The ancient scroll illustrates the Kingdom's castle along with the sun drop flower.
- The kingdom is protected by a group of warriors known as the "Brotherhood". Quirin, Adira and Hector are the only known members to be revealed.