During Luz's first day of Magic School, curiosity gets the best of her and she finds herself thrown into the Delinquent Track, where she's not allowed to learn magic.
Luz attends the entrance exam, hosted by Principal Bump. Though incredible nervous and a few slip ups, she manages to demonstrate her two spells, light and ice. Despite her rocky performance, Luz gets accepted into Hexside.
The next day is Luz's first day of magic school. Along the way, Luz expresses her worries to Eda. She is afraid of messing up because back at her old school she did not make a good impression. She is worried that she might mess up again, only for Eda to assure her not to worry. Luz gets dropped off at Hexside and is greeted by Amity, Willow, and Gus, who all congratulate her on getting into Hexside. Luz also discovers that King stowed away in her backpack so he could rummage through the school trash for food.
Luz meets up with Principal Bump in his office, who tells her the school will be visited by the Emperor's Coven on a routine inspection. To impress them, Luz needs to join a covern track before they arrive. Luz has plans to study all the tracks, only to be told she can only pick one of the nine tracks. Luz finds this difficult because all the tracks are cool. So Principal Bump chooses for her, the potions track. Though uncertain, she accepts. Before sending her off to class, he warns Luz to be on her best behavior because the school needs an urgent donation from the Emperor's Coven to cover the repairs from recent incidents.
During her first potions class, Luz begins to have second thoughts about attending only one track and does not think potions is for her. She becomes so infatuated by the other tracks that she does not pay attention to her potion lessons and makes a mess. Things get worse when Principal Bump catches her trying to use a oracle track crystal ball. He sends her to the Detention Track, where she is forbidden to learn any magic. Luz meets three other students in the class. She tries to make friends with them, but they give her the silent treatment. Meanwhile, King continues to rummage through the school trash and accidentally ends up in a classroom where he is mistaken for a substitute teacher.
Back in the Detention class, Luz is miserable because she cannot learn magic like she hoped. When Willow and Gus hear about her situation, they promise to help her get out of it. The delinquents, Vinery, Jerbo, and Barcus, taken by Luz standing up for them when the teacher threatened them with cleaning chores, invite her to a secret room filled with doors leading to anywhere in the school, created years ago by a witch known as Lord Calamity. The delinquents not only use this place to cause trouble but also learn all types of magic in secret. Principal Bump threw into the Detention track because they wanted to mix different types of magic. Jerbo wanted to mix plant magic with abominations, Barcu made potions with oracle magic, and Vinery wanted to mix healing with beast keeping. They offer to make Luz one of their own until they overhear Willow and Gus looking for her. The become offended when they learn that Luz wants out of the Detention Track because she thinks she can do better. They do not give Luz a chance and order her to leave, which she sadly does.
Meanwhile, the inspector arrives. Principal Bump takes her to the main hall for a student demonstration. However, during Amity's performance, the inspector turns out to be a magic draining basilisk that feeds on the magic of other witches. It goes on a rampage throughout the school, feeding off the magic of students and teachers, leaving them drained of power. After Willow and Gus fall victim to the beast, Luz escapes to the secret room and rejoins the delinquents. She asks for their help, but they are afraid of getting kicked out of school for doing magic. However, Luz manages to convince them. Together, mixing different types of magic, Luz and the delinquents lore the Basilisk into a trap where they drain her of all the magic she absorbed, restoring everyone to normal heatlh.
Despite saving the school, the delinquents still end up in trouble with Prinicpal Bump, only for Luz to stand up for them. She also tells him how unfair it is to force students into studying only one track and being unable to study whatever they wish. The least he can do is give them a choice for saving Hexside. Though reluctant, Principal Bump agrees to let Vinery, Jarbo, and Barcus to study whatever tracks they like. As for Luz, she gets to study all the tracks. Principal Bump reveals that one other student wanted to study every track but never got the chance. That student was none other than Eda.
- Sarah-Nicole Robles as Luz Noceda
- Wendie Malick as Eda Clawthorne
- Alex Hirsch as King
- Issac Brown as Gus
- Tati Gabrielle as Willow
- Mae Whitman as Amity Blight
- Bumper Robinson as Principal Bump
- Ally Maki as Viney
- Noah Galvin as Jerbo
- This was the first episode produced in 2020 according to the credits. All episodes that were produced before it were produced in 2019 according to the credits.
- "Once Upon a Swap" was also produced in 2020, but that episode was produced after this one.
- Willow's fight against the Oracle girl was a reference to similarly formatted fights that occur in the Pokémon series.
- The "choosy hat" is a parody of the sorting hat from Harry Potter, as well as the Greater Basilisk (aka the Inspector) being a parody to the Basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- The secret room of shortcuts is likewise reminiscent of the various hidden chambers found at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series. Eda's role in creating the secret room of shortcuts, as well as her alias of Lord Calamity, mirrors the Marauders' Map and the aliases used by James Potter and his motley crew of friends.
- The four names aside from Viney, Jerbo, and Barcus' that appear by the Lord Calamity sign refer to the four storyboard artists for this episode.
- When Eda was flying away at the end, there is a code revealed on the top left pillar. This is the thirteenth code, its the same code as the seventh code so the code is "Of".
- Luz flips her eyelids inside out for the second time in this episode, followed by "A Lying Witch and a Warden".
- Hooty does not appear in this episode, but he is noted in the credits.
- At the start of the episode, when Luz is talking with Eda, she is wearing her multi-coven uniform instead of her normal outfit or her cloak.