Role in the film
The Ghost of Christmas Past appears modeled like a candle to symbolize the light that people shine on their past, in order to know themselves better. In this version, the ghost has a light Irish accent. He takes Scrooge on a journey throughout his past in order to show Scrooge how he became the miserly moneylender he is. During this journey, Scrooge discovered the following things:
- His father neglected him as a child.
- His kind sister Fan brought him back home from boarding school only to die giving birth to Fred.
- Fezziwig was a kind Christmas loving boss to him.
- Scrooge started a successful business in money-lending and finances.
- He first met Belle during Fezziwig's Christmas party.
- He then broke up with Belle by the time Scrooge started his obsession with finances.
After which, Scrooge wants to leave but the ghost uses then his face to show all the people the old man knew in his kindness. Scared, Scrooge quickly extinguishes the ghost with his own extinguisher. However, Scrooge is then shot up into the sky, toward the moon, and falls about 50,000 feet toward the ground back to his house.
Appearances in Disney media
The Muppet Christmas Carol
In the Muppet adaptation, the ghost is a female voiced by Jessica Fox and puppeteered by Karen Prell. The Ghost shows Scrooge his lonely childhood at school, a happy Christmas party at Fozziwig's, and his breakup with his fiancee, Belle.
A version of the Ghost of Christmas Past appears in the 2017 reboot of DuckTales in the episode "Last Christmas!". This version is depicted as a cricket (in a nod to Jiminy Cricket portraying him) and carries an umbrella that appears to be the source of his time traveling powers.
He, along with the Ghosts of Christmas Present and Future visit Scrooge McDuck every year just to hang out after accidentally visiting him instead of Ebenezer Scrooge. The group take Scrooge to his first Christmas party held at McDuck Manor, but when he gets irritated with the events unfolding, Past takes him further back to before McDuck Manor was even built, revealing that he wants to keep Scrooge to himself due to constantly being left behind and forgotten by every person he has to help every Christmas. Scrooge manages to trick Past into giving him his umbrella to return to his time, leaving him in the cold barren land.
Due to longing to be reunited with Scrooge, Past transforms into a Wendigo and begins stalking the surrounding area until he encounters a young Donald, Della Duck, and a time-traveling Dewey Duck. The trio captures him before Scrooge arrives to bring Dewey back to his time period. Seeing the two happily reunite moves Past and he transforms back to normal with Scrooge giving him his umbrella back. Past is seen with the other Ghosts attending Scrooge's Christmas party with his friends and family.
- Jiminy Cricket - Portrayed the role in Mickey's Christmas Carol.
- Cadpig - Portrayed the role in the 101 Dalmatians: The Series episode, "A Christmas Cruella"
- Tigger - Portrayed the role in Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo.