"The Golden Years" is the twenty-ninth episode of Kim Possible.
It's spring break, and the Possible family (with Ron and Rufus in tow) travel to Florida to help Kim's paternal grandmother Nana Possible get settled into her new retirement community "Chez Leisure". While Kim and her Nana love each other very much, Kim finds her grandmother to be very overprotective, being critical of her missions and essentially treating her like a little kid. Meanwhile, Ron plans to take advantage of Spring Break, since no one there knows him, but his plans to pick up girls ends as badly as pretty much everything else he does. Unknown to them both, Dr. Drakken and Shego are also in Florida, as Drakken's planning to broadcast a mind control signal into the MP3 players of the college kids on spring break, turning them into an army he can then use to take over the world.
While investigating a strange signal picked up by Wade, Kim locates Drakken and Shego in an ice cream truck and gives chase, but they manage to escape, thanks to an inadvertent distraction from Nana. Returning to his current lair (an abandoned alligator farm somewhere in the Florida swamps), Drakken activates his signal--but instead of the college students' MP3 players, it affects the hearing aids of the seniors. Still, Drakken decides to use them anyway and has them commit several robberies. While waiting for an analysis of a strange substance found at one of the robberies, Kim recognizes it as part of her Nana's lemon squares and follows her and the other seniors to Drakken's lair, where she is captured.
Meanwhile, Ron tries to take advantage of Rufus' popularity with the college students, when Wade contacts him about Kim; wondering what to do, he comes up with the idea to advertise a party at Drakken's lair. Meanwhile, Kim escapes being fed to Drakken's alligators, so he forces her to fight her Nana—who she learns lived an adventurous life, not unlike herself. During the fight, Kim manages to turn off Drakken's signal, freeing the seniors, just as the spring break-college students show up, trashing the lair and destroying the satellite that would've spread his signal all over the world, although Drakken and Shego manage to escape.
Back at the retirement center, Nana Possible has finally let go of her critical, overprotective attitude towards her granddaughter, and she and Kim enjoy some bonding time over martial arts before Kim and Ron are called away on a mission to fight some giant spiders in Guam.
- The twenty-eigth episode aired.
- The twenty-third episode in chronological order.
- The thirty-first episode in production order.
- In "Attack of the Killer Bebes", we find out that Wade has Ron microchipped. In this episode, Ron asked Wade, "How did you find me? Do you have me microchipped?," but Wade sidesteps the question, and tells him that Kim is in danger.
- The events of "Job Unfair" are mentioned.
- Stragigory is a ploy on the game Monolopy.
- When Drakken finds out that Nana Possible is Kim's grandmother, he claims that today is a "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah day"!
- Drakken claims that Nana is "one bad grandmother—", to which Kim interrupts with "Shut yo' mouth!", to which Drakken says, "I'm just talkin' 'bout Nana!" This is a reference to lyrics from Isaac Hayes' "Theme from Shaft".
- Shego files her nails whilst wearing gloves.
Home video releases
- Kim Possible: The Complete Second Season